Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

nicburch

There is sadly no one volume history covering the regiments' activities, but the best source (though sadly fairly rare) is The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry Chronicle, which was an annual record of the 1st and 2nd Battalions, formerly the 43rd and 52nd Light Infantry, together with the war records of the other battalions, in 5 volumes.

There were also the following Battalion Histories published:

CROSSE Lt Colonel R B

A Record of HM 52nd Light Infantry in 1914.

Warwick: Spennell Press, 1956.

NEVILLE Captain J E H

History 43rd and 52nd (Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry) in the Great War, 1914-1919. Volume 1. The 43rd Light Infantry in Mesopotamia and North Russia.

Aldershot: Gale and Polden, 1938.

No other volumes were published.

NEWBOLT Sir Henry

The Story of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (the old 43rd and 52nd Regiments). London: Country Life, (1915).

PICKFORD P

War Record of the 1/4th Battalion Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

Banbury: Banbury Guardian Office, 1919.

SWANN Major General J C

The Citizen Soldiers of Buckinghamshire 1795-1926 compiled with the kind assistance of many of the officers of the corps concerned. London: Hazell Watson and Viney for the Buckinghamshire TA Association, 1930. Covers 1/1st and 2/1st Bucks Bn.

SWANN Major General J C

2nd Buckinghamshire Battalion 1914-1918.

(London: Hazell Watson and Viney, 1930).

WHEELER Lt Colonel C

Memorial Record of the Seventh (Service) Battalion the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1921.

WRIGHT Captain P L

The First Buckinghamshire Battalion 1914-1919.

London: Hazell Watson and Viney, (1920).

As far as I know, only Sir Henry Newbolt's history is available in print via Naval and Military Press.

Can I add a further volume to Andrew's list?

There is also:

The Story of the 2/4th OBLI

Capt G K Rose

Blackwells, Oxford 1920

Capt Rose also illustrated the volume himself preparing the maps and including sketches etc. which appear to have been sketched whilst on active service.

• 7 years later...

NEVILLE Captain J E H

History 43rd and 52nd (Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry) in the Great War, 1914-1919. Volume 1. The 43rd Light Infantry in Mesopotamia and North Russia.

Aldershot: Gale and Polden, 1938.

No other volumes were published.

Until now!

History of the 43rd and 52nd (Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire) Light Infantry in the Great War 1914 – 1918 Volume II has just been published (Privately) by the author - Simon Harris.

The book covers the 52nd Light Infantry in France, Belgium and Germany. The hardback book is only (At the moment) available via "Friends of the Ox & Bucks L.I.". 690 pages, including photographs & hand drawn maps. Price £30 plus P & P.

It's a very well written book and an excellent source for reference, I personally don't think any purchaser will be disappointed!

It is now available from the SOFO trust shop.

I can't put mine down it is excellent!!!

One more addition to the library, though somewhat scant in content:

A Record of the 2nd Bucks Battalion TF 1914-1918 (2/1 Bucks) by Capt I Stewart-Liberty MC. Printed at Carlton Press, Chesham nd

It is now available from the SOFO trust shop.

Hi

Couldn't find it in the online shop :( Any ideas where else to look?

Regards

Martin

I agree with you there Kevin!!

It would appear that the shop has sold out already!!! Don't panic there should be more on the way, keep looking. Probably best to send a contact message to reserve one. Thanks.

It would appear that the shop has sold out already!!! Don't panic there should be more on the way, keep looking. Probably best to send a contact message to reserve one. Thanks.

Thanks for that and am acting on your advice

Regards

Martin

Hi all

For those of you interested in the 2nd Ox and Bucks, it is worth noting that Simon Harris also wrote, 'R.B.K. a Very Parfit Gentil Knight', back in 2004. This is the story of his relative, Captain Ralph Kite M.C, who fought with the 2nd Ox and Bucks. The book based around his life covers the period upto his death from wounds in Decemeber 1916 at a base hospital in Le Treport. Well worth a read.

Chris

Hi

Took your advice.

Yesterday morning SOFO were good enough to phone me to tell me copies were now available on the online shop. I ordered a copy at about midday and it arrived this morning in the post at 8.35am. How's that for service?! It looks a high quality production too

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now well into the book and find it well-written, well-edited and very well-bound and printed. It's an immense tome, 690 pages, and tells the story of the 2/OBLI. It's a highly detailed Battalion history, not easy to come by nowadays. It contains 2 appendices, a bibliography and an index. It cost £40 not £30 as quoted above, which may sound steep, but then again, it's equivalent to the cost of driving from London to Liverpool at present fuel prices. Reading this book or driving on the motorway, I know which journey would be the more comfortable, pleasanter and worth the money.

• 2 months later...

I'm now well into the book and find it well-written, well-edited and very well-bound and printed. It's an immense tome, 690 pages, and tells the story of the 2/OBLI. It's a highly detailed Battalion history, not easy to come by nowadays. It contains 2 appendices, a bibliography and an index. It cost £40 not £30 as quoted above, which may sound steep, but then again, it's equivalent to the cost of driving from London to Liverpool at present fuel prices. Reading this book or driving on the motorway, I know which journey would be the more comfortable, pleasanter and worth the money.

Dr Harris sent me a copy for review, which should be published (after I've written it..) in the next month or so. The price quoted in the materal with it did indeed say £30; I think the SOFO price is 'inclusive of P&P'. It is on sale at the National Army Museum and the National Archive also.