Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20 round SMLE pouch

hackneygurkha

Dear forum,

I have just picked up a leather pouch which I believe is a 20 round ammo pouch for the SMLE. It is constructed from grained leather, the same as the 1914 pattern leather and is clearly maker stamped and dated 1918. Can anyone tell me exactly what/who this was meant for? Apparently this pouch is mentioned in a book by Skennerton but I don't have access to it.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

post-43602-0-56930900-1454444955_thumb.j

Hi try searching Jabez Cliff & Co saddlebag you will see similar items, the photo you have posted is a 20 rounds magazine pouch for the smle. The strap in the top as you look at the picture has a bifurcated rivet which is not the norm; the other lower strap has the tin plated copper hose rivet

cheers

Dave

• 2 years later...

I have just bought a 20 round magazine pouch dated 1918. Can anyone tell me what was removed from the side there appear to have been two rivets to attache something ?

Thanks Mark

smle-1.jpg

smle-2.jpg

smle-3.jpg

smle-4.jpg

Mark

I don’t believe anything is missing from the side it’s more likely to be a later addition for something else. Mine doesn’t have any additional holes

Dave

Thanks Dave.I did wonder if it was a later adaptation. It was listed as a bicycle repair kit!?

Kind regards

Mark

I did see it on the well known internet auction site and was glad I picked mine up a few years ago. Mine was also miss identified as a cycle bag at a local auction so I picked it up for a very reasonable price 

5 hours ago, Dave1418 said:

I did see it on the well known internet auction site and was glad I picked mine up a few years ago. Mine was also miss identified as a cycle bag at a local auction so I picked it up for a very reasonable price  

Not a miss  identification. Many WW1 small leather pouches were repurposed as bicycle tool pouches after the war. I have the pouch for the fuse key, normally rivetted to the back door of an artillery limber that was also converted to a bike tool kit. I just wish more bike tool pouches survived.

Cheers

Ross