Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lord Derby Hospital Warrington

justjane

I have found a postcard which was sent to my grandfather in November 1916 when he was a patient at the Lord Derby Hospital. It is addressed to the I.D.E. ward. Does anyone know what I.D.E. stands for? Thank you.

I've never come across that combination, but I.D. might be Infectious Diseases.

Could Infectious Diseases have been housed in E ward, perhaps?

For further info, the hospital later became Winwick Hospital (Hospital Records Database says) and its records are with Cheshire and Chester Archives, although don't get too excited as they don't seem to have much pre-NHS material.

However they may at least be able to identify the ward for you.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/a?_ref=17

sJ

Thank you for your quick replies to my query. I had toyed with the idea that it may be something to do with Infectious Diseases but as far as I know it was never mentioned in the family that my Grandfather had a 'blightly' owing to such a thing, however, I won't rule it out. I do know that he suffered a broken femur after being run over by a gun carriage and was also badly gassed which left him with bronchial complaints for the rest of his life. Think I may investigate re the Chester archives next. Many thanks again for your interest.

Winwick hospital was not too far from me..... it was actually a mental asylum.

By the time of the First World War the hospital housed 2,160 patients. Almost all of these were transferred to other asylums when it became a military hospital - the Lord Derby War Hospital*. Between 1915 and 1920 some 56,000 wounded soldiers were treated there, and the hospital began to resume its original purpose in 1921.

It finally closed in 1997, new build houses occupy most of the site now.

Interestingly is is just a stones through away from Redbank which saw one of the final and most bloody battles of the English Civil War.

Infectious Disease Epidemiology is the term that you are referring to I believe.

KB :thumbsup:

post-91995-0-48987000-1454489167_thumb.j

Thank you KB for your info on Winwick Hospital and the attached image. I am most grateful. Re Infectious Disease Epidemiology, this opens up a whole new line of questioning for me! I am now wondering which infectious diseases would earn a soldier a 'Blighty'. Could be a number of things I suppose. Once again many thanks for your message. :)

J.J

• 3 years later...

A cousin from Cumberland enlisted in the CEF (Canada). William Mitchinson son of Mary Mitchinson of Niagara Falls was treated at this hospital before being discharged back to Canada. In his Military records "Nerves" was an issue so finding that this Hospital was for mentally Ill patients was interesting.