Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GENERAL RAWLINSON- 4TH ARMY

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Can anyone give me a brief biography of General Lord Rawlinson, such as his regiment, service and decorations awarded.

Thanks.

Frank Bartholomew

He had as far as i know a bit of a name as a schemer once he had to back down to GHQ for trying to blame a subordinate for the late use of troops crucial to an attack but when the officer complained he had no choice but to own up to the blame. He was also a 'follower' of the bite and hold tatic advocated by some generals in the war and what more or less proved to be the best form of attack adopted in place of the old 'cavalry rush ' as i call it.

If you want some basic info go to www.firstworldwar.com and use the search engine, just type in rawlinson and it will give you a list of sources including a short bio of him.

When i first started on ww1 and the generals rawlinson was one that the name kept coming up as good as i have delved his halo has dropped some what, i can stand incompetance but underhand treachery i can not.

If you find any good bits out post it i may not know of what you find

Also as a favour if you come across any references to generals Snow, Forestier-walker or bridges post the sources

Arm.

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Arm,

If I find anything about those Generals, I will let you know.

All I know about 'Rawly' is that he was a cavalryman- but I have no idea of which unit(s) he served with. I do know that he was in Myanmar and the Sudan, but that's all.

He seems to have plenty of medal ribbons, but for what I don't know.

All the best-

Frank Bartholomew

Arm,

If I find anything about those Generals, I will let you know.

All I know about 'Rawly' is that he was a cavalryman- but I have no idea of which unit(s) he served with.  I do know that he was in Myanmar and the Sudan, but that's all.

He seems to have plenty of medal ribbons, but for what I don't know.

All the best-

Frank Bartholomew

Frank

Rawlinson was an Infantryman not a Cavalryman. Commissioned in the King's Royal Rifle Corps, he later transferred to the Coldstream Guards.

There is a biography of him by Sir Frederick Maurice entitled Lord Rawlinson of Trent published in 1928. However, 'Command on the Western Front' by Robin Prior and Trevor Wilson (one of the most important books about senior commanders of the war) covers the Military Career of Sir Henry Rawlinson. This was published in about 1992(?)

You should be able to get both from your local library.

Yes " Command on the Western Front" published by Blackwell in 1992 - IMHO , a great book and seems quite scarce.

Rawlinson born 1864 , Eton and Sandhurst, Brigade Major at 31. Impressed Kitchener at Khartoum and was well thought of by Roberts in S.A. After Boer War became Staff College Commandant and then quickly to Divisional command. Observed technically advanced Japanese Army with interest.

On half pay in Aug. 1914 . Got a Corps by late 1914. Indifferent 1915 , disliked by French ,and never seemed to have the bottle to stand up to Haig . Widely regarded as a "hero" at the end of the Somme campaign though .Full General in 1917 - 17 years from Capt. to full General .

Sidelined in 1917 then back to replace Plumer and then on to Versailles as a politician/soldier. Back in at the kill, the final victory earned him £30,000 and a baronetcy. How good was he - who knows ? - but he was lucky it seems and Napoeon knew how valuable that was

Also try The Great War Generals on the Western Front by Robin Neillands - Robinson Publishing, London 1999.

Bernard Lewis