Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patrick Kelly service no 30531 Cameronians

Baills

Wonder if anyone can help me find information about my Grandfather, Patrick Kelly. Service no 30531.I know that he was a Private in D or 4 company, 11th Battalion, Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) and have found the medical form when he was injured in August 1917.

My mother remembers him mentioning Salonika and I know that battalion served there but we have no service record information beyond that.

Also interested in finding where that company would have based been in Salonika and any action he may have been involved in.

Thanks

Stephen

Hi Stephen, welcome to the forum.

I can't see any Kelly with service number 30531 on the medal cards or rolls. If you post an image of the medical form someone might be able to help.

There is a Patrick Kealy with completely different service numbers on the roll of 11th Scottish Rifles, who was awarded a Silver War Badge as a result of wounds.

Eddie

Thanks for the quick response Eddie. Finding him is proving difficult but I know the battalion and service number are correct as I have a piece of his kit clearly labelled. I will see if I can upload the record as suggested. I am sure it is my grandfather as the age and service number match and the nature of the injury matches family memories - injury to his right thumb, that troubled him for the rest of his life.

Thanks for the quick response Eddie. Finding him is proving difficult but I know the battalion and service number are correct as I have a piece of his kit clearly labelled. I will see if I can upload the record as suggested. I am sure it is my grandfather as the age and service number match and the nature of the injury matches family memories - injury to his right thumb, that troubled him for the rest of his life.

Service numbers weren't set in stone and could change. If he moved to another battalion he would often have been given a new number.

Craig

• Admin

He is not listed in the Cameronians Rolls. They run 30530 Cleary 11 Bn - no 30531 - 30532 Currie 5 Bn, previously 11 Bn.

This means his medals, which were named to the Cameronians, were issued by another unit, often the Labour Corps, though he could have been posted anywhere after recovering from his injury in August 1917.

Unfortunately there are dozens of Patrick Kellys in the LC and literally hundreds more in other units.

Ken

Thanks all for your help. There certainly are a lot of Patrick Kelly's in the records and his being a Catholic from Glasgow doesn't help narrow it down!

Still wrestling with how to upload the form but the information on it reads:

P. Kelly

Index no of admission 19259

Service no: 3?5?1

Yrs service: 1yr ?mths

Months in field force: 1 yr 7mths

Ailment: inflammation of connective tissue,thumb ,right

Date of admission: 06/08/1917

Date transferred to sick convoy :07/08/1917

Number/designation of ward: E2

Observation column notes: to ambulance train

Religion: Roman Catholic

Regiment: Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Battalion :11th (Service) Battalion

Other: D Company

Archive reference: MH106/619-National archive, No 31 Clearing station.

I take it that the ? Refers to ineligible numbers. I also have photos of him in Cameronian uniform.

If I read it right then it is probable that he served in Salonika with the Scottish Rifles,was injured in August 1917 and then transferred into another unit until the end of the war.

• 2 weeks later...