Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Bloody Paralyser - the giant Handley Page Bombers of the First Wo

RobL

image_zpsa6xokvje.jpg

After seven years of hard work, late nights and resisting the urge to throw my laptop out the window more times than I can remember, my book on the Handley Page O/100, O/400 and V/1500 is finally out!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloody-Paralyser-Giant-Handley-Bombers/dp/1781550808/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1453981510&sr=1-1&keywords=Bloody+Paralyser+-+the+giant+Handley+Page+Bombers+of+the+First+World+war

Excellent! Looking forward to reading this - the 0/500 and 1/500 bombers have always fascinated me with very little information available. Perhaps I will have a chat to the aviation museum I volunteer for so that we can stock a few copies.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

I bought this last week and, although I have only skimmed through it, it looks really interesting.

I have a few questions, the answers to which you may have stumbled across in your research.

Do you know where picture no 12 (Handley Page 0/100 in a snow covered aerodrome) was taken and do you have a higher resolution version of it? If it was Ochey, I think the chap in uniform is Douglas Wright, the guy I am researching.

When HP 1463 landed behind enemy lines and was captured, the pilot was Henry Connell Vereker and the observer Sidney Reynolds Hibbard but there were also two air mechanics, one of whom was called Wright. Do you happen to know their full names?

Do you have any, information to indicate 1460 was damaged when being moved from Ochey to Dunkirk. Apparently my man was injured when the plane turned over on takeoff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Reference the Handley Page types does anyone have knowledge of where the Klaxon fit was on these types?

For example 215 Sqn. during 1918 used the Klaxon for "Signalling their letter if the Aldis light fails" and also as a "Signal for removal of chocks" also "Indicating to which Flight they belong after landing at night" (according to archive material).

Also during 1916 and 1917 at least (according to documents of the period) night bombers used the Klaxon as part of an 'IFF' system when 'challenged' by searchlight/AA weapons over allied defended areas on the Western Front.

Information on photographs or descriptions of location and use of the Klaxon on HPs would be welcome. I am finishing off an article (for Cross and Cockade) on Klaxon use and am trying to fill in some gaps.

Mike

Hi

Reference the Handley Page types does anyone have knowledge of where the Klaxon fit was on these types?

For example 215 Sqn. during 1918 used the Klaxon for "Signalling their letter if the Aldis light fails" and also as a "Signal for removal of chocks" also "Indicating to which Flight they belong after landing at night" (according to archive material).

Also during 1916 and 1917 at least (according to documents of the period) night bombers used the Klaxon as part of an 'IFF' system when 'challenged' by searchlight/AA weapons over allied defended areas on the Western Front.

Information on photographs or descriptions of location and use of the Klaxon on HPs would be welcome. I am finishing off an article (for Cross and Cockade) on Klaxon use and am trying to fill in some gaps.

Mike

Hi

I take it no-one has any more information on the Klaxon fitment in the Handley-Pages?

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

MIke,

Not exactly an answer to your question, but by pure chance I read this post half an hour ago, then settled back with Ralph Barker's excellent "The RFC in France from Bloody April to Final Victory" to read about the part played by the RFC in the Third Battle of Ypres. On page 114 of the book is a reference to klaxons being used by aircraft to ask infantry on the ground to light flares. I'll attach it here in the hope it may be of some interest to you.

All the best,

Greg

25672808415_6eff5219f9_c.jpg

MIke,

Not exactly an answer to your question, but by pure chance I read this post half an hour ago, then settled back with Ralph Barker's excellent "The RFC in France from Bloody April to Final Victory" to read about the part played by the RFC in the Third Battle of Ypres. On page 114 of the book is a reference to klaxons being used by aircraft to ask infantry on the ground to light flares. I'll attach it here in the hope it may be of some interest to you.

All the best,

Greg

25672808415_6eff5219f9_c.jpg

Hi

Thanks for that, but I do have the information on Contact Patrol use. As in images below, the Klaxon could be fitted to various parts of the airframe, Clockwise under fuselage of RE.8, under fuselage of FK.8, Poking out of fuselage of BE.2c, poking out of fuselage RE.8. It depended on where the squadron wanted to put it, these are all probably fitments for CP work.

Mike

post-57218-0-12023700-1457625193_thumb.j

Thanks Mike. I'm a relative newcomer to WW1 aviation research, having spent most of the last twenty years looking at 1935 - 1945, so I'm not as "up-to-speed" as most of you here :) However, I'm about to start looking at 100 Squadron's contribution as part of 41st WIng and I.F. in 1917 - 1918 for a book I'm writing on the history of 100, so I'll keep my eyes open for anything on klaxons being used as part of a rudimentary IFF system. If I find anything, I'll post it back here for you.

Thanks again and all the best,

Greg

Hi

Some other images of Klaxon fitments. Clockwise; side of fuselage FE.2b (18 Sqn.) probably for Cavalry Contact Patrol use but was fitted to aircraft when brought down on a night bombing sortie (while still the Cavalry Corps support squadron during 1916) so could also been used for the 'IFF' procedures in effect then as well., Klaxon fitted to DH.4 behind pilot's cockpit, probably for gunner to pilot communication trials during 1917, Klaxon under wing of RE.8 CP fitment. We have other images of Klaxon fitments for the future article although none of HP aircraft.

Mike

post-57218-0-17964400-1457625525_thumb.j

Thanks Mike. I'm a relative newcomer to WW1 aviation research, having spent most of the last twenty years looking at 1935 - 1945, so I'm not as "up-to-speed" as most of you here :) However, I'm about to start looking at 100 Squadron's contribution as part of 41st WIng and I.F. in 1917 - 1918 for a book I'm writing on the history of 100, so I'll keep my eyes open for anything on klaxons being used as part of a rudimentary IFF system. If I find anything, I'll post it back here for you.

Thanks again and all the best,

Greg

Hi

Thanks for that.

Mike

Thanks again Mike. I haven't seen any photos of 100 Squadron's "Fees" with klaxons fitted, but to be honest I wasn't really aware of them before reading your initial post so haven't really been looking for them. I'll start looking form now on, on the Fees and the big H-Ps :)

All the best,

Greg

Hi

Thanks for that, but I do have the information on Contact Patrol use. As in images below, the Klaxon could be fitted to various parts of the airframe, Clockwise under fuselage of RE.8, under fuselage of FK.8, Poking out of fuselage of BE.2c, poking out of fuselage RE.8. It depended on where the squadron wanted to put it, these are all probably fitments for CP work.

Mike

attachicon.gifklaxonsheet002.jpg

Hi Greg,

I personally think that Ralph Barker's two books on the RFC are amongst the BEST general histories for anyone wanting to "get inside" the first air war. And I wrote to him and told him so!

Trevor

Evening Trevor,

I've only read the one I referenced above so far, but if you recommend his others (I found three by him dealing specifically with the RFC / WW1) then I shall make a point of picking them up. Certainly I agree with your sentiments regarding the one I have read!! It's a great overview for people like me who are, as you say, just "getting inside" the first air war :)

All the best,

Greg

P.S. John Cale is providing the background music this evening!!