Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help in finding the right Battle

Guest sue

I am one of the few fortunate people that have been able to obtain my grandfather's full War records and previous Army Records from the PRO at Kew. He was in the 11th Bn Royal Fusiliers. From the website I have determined (correctly, I hope!) that he was attached to the 54th Brigade, 18th (Eastern) Division.

His War Records show that he was posted to France on 26.9.1915 (Exped. Force) and that he was wounded on 7.11.1915 and posted home on 1.12.1915.

I have carefully looked through the Battles on the website, but cannot ascertain which battle(s) his unit took part in, and which one he lost his leg in. If anyone more experienced at looking for the right battle could help me, I would be very grateful.

Regards

Sue Baillie

Sue

It might be easier to start with the Battalion War diary, the original should be at the PRO and often the regimental archive or museum has a copy. So it depends which is nearest. Most regimental museums have been very helpfull when I have written to them for information.

John

Its also best to bear in mind that not every casualty in the war happened in a major battle. There was a continual drain of casualties up and down the line from bullet, bomb and shrapnel, even in the so-called quiet sectors.

And to go with John W's post, being wounded so early in the battalion's time in France, he may even be named in the war diary.

Hi Sue

Like John says the war diary is the best place to look but if you are unable to do this, then I can tell you they were some where near the Fricourt area, Somme on the date your grandfather was wounded.

Plus I do not think there was any battle, I looked on Soldiers Died to see how many 11th R. Fus.' were killed on this day, and I could only find one. I also looked up the four closest men killed to the 7/11/15 on CWGC, all four are buried in Point 110 Old Military Cemetery, Fricourt, Somme.

Hope this is of some help

Annette

Yes, many men died simply holding the line outside of the dates of those famous battles e.g my great uncle Herbert killed in Ypres in Jan. 1916. A nothing day in the war it would seem but a big day for our family.