Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ingram ground-to-air Signalling Code

MikeMeech

Hi All

Cole and Cheesman in their 'The Air Defence of Britain' have an illustration of the first 20 messages used in the Ingram ground-to-air signalling code (on page 101), my question is does anyone have an illustration of the other 20 messages used?

This information is mainly to confirm the layout of a 'scale working model' of the system I have made. This is one of a small series (part of a larger project) of working scaled ground signalling panels I have made to illustrate how it was done in WW1 and later when communication could not rely on wireless totally.

Many thanks.

Mike

Sorry Mike, I can't help you. I hope someone comes up with the info for you.

Regards,

Trevor

Thanks Trevor

I think I have got the layout 'correct' by presuming the layout as seen in Cole & Cheesman would be the same on both sides of the elongated 'T' (which was of course 20 ft by 40 ft) . I have now produced 'working' models of the Ingram system, the Popham 'T' Panel and the inter-war replacement 'T' system that had similarities to the Ingram but on a smaller scale to replace the Popham.

A computer search on the UKNA website does not turn up anything so it would have to be a search of WW1 air-defence files on site to find any information. The RAF Museum appears not to have anything on record, although that is on-going. As usual an internet search does not bring much information except for what has appeared in Cole & Cheesman.

Mike

Hi

These are images of the 'working model' of the Popham replacement, another 'T' made up of two 8 ft 6 in by 1 ft 4 in strips, using maximum of 4 round cloth circle of 1 ft 4 in diameter placed in positions that indicated a number. Top centre of 'T' was '0' then read clockwise 1-9. Used in inter-war period and into WW2. Although smaller than Ingram system it has some similarities in layout. using a 'T' with discs around to indicate message.

Mike

post-57218-0-29942400-1454502945_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hello

I am just looking at the evolution of communications in the RFC/RAF and in particular the development of wireless in 1914-18. Pre wireless the Ingram system seems to have had some use but information is scarce and I was wondering if anybody here ever found the full code set and could share that information?

Alan

3 hours ago, Alan H said:

Hello

I am just looking at the evolution of communications in the RFC/RAF and in particular the development of wireless in 1914-18. Pre wireless the Ingram system seems to have had some use but information is scarce and I was wondering if anybody here ever found the full code set and could share that information?

Alan

Hi

I have done a fair bit of research on air/ground and ground/air communication systems during WW1.  My most recent article being published in 'Cross & Cockade International' Winter 2019, when I dealt with the pre-war communication experiments (others have also written on wireless during WW1 in past editions).  At present I am working on the various systems used during WW1 by the British, which includes wireless amongst the many other systems used sometimes instead of or in conjunction with the former.  

Reference the Ingram System the following from AIR 1/1816/204/178/6 is the initial booklet 'Ground Signals for use between Aircraft and Aerodromes' of November 1916, it obviously evolved as other signals are found in the previously mentioned Cole and Cheesman book:012.JPG.769c5b060043846cbb2839435d059587.JPG

010.JPG.a3f7e5231e3de152e937cd2297114bed.JPG

011.JPG.97437f51d2cdc6f130b689bc286bce66.JPG

I hope that is of interest.  

I am not sure exactly the aim of your research is and how much information you have gathered, if you explain it more then I could probably supply more relevant references.

Mike