Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arnold Ridley (and Private Godfrey) in WW1 and 'Dad's Army&#39

seaJane

Some other remarkable faces who fell in this area and are worth looking into are Evelyn Southwell, 9/RB, about whom a great deal of material is available here on the Forum, and Charlie Duncombe, the Earl of Feversham, 21/KRRC (the Yeoman Rifles).  Both men died on 15 Sep 1916 in this same area.

Southwell

Southwell Summer 1916 (compressed)

(Picture courtesy of Richard Van Emden)

Feversham

post-20192-013344600%201285230041.jpg

Thanks for the extra information Mark, I'm just getting back into the Western Front...I've had a lot of work and other interests crop up which have had priority on my available time.

I'm staying in a friends gite in Combles in October and plan on taking my party along the line from Gommecourt down to the Somme, and having places where "well known faces" from the TV took part in the fighting always makes it more interesting for them.

best regards

Tom

Although not a TV 'face', the story of Anthony Eden (the future PM) and the search/recovery of Charlie Duncombe's body would certainly add interest.  Also the apocryphal (and incorrect) story that Charlie's Irish Wolfhound, Conn, died on 15 Sep and was buried alongside him,  See Richard Holmes Tommy, p.627, citing George Ashurst My Bit, p.126 - all wrong: the 'orphaned' hound was definitely still alive at Xmas 1916!  More in Liz Moloney's Yeoman Rifles topic.

Evelyn Southwell has a detailed topic started by Andy Pay.

Both topics are voluminous and detailed - a rich source of anecdotes for a tour in the Flers/Delville Wood area.

Thanks stripeyman - I was going to add a post to the 'My Bit' topic specifically asking for someone to look up that reference: you've saved me a job!

However ....

in my rush to post earlier, I in fact looked up the footnote incorrectly (hangs head in embarrassment :blush:) - the footnote citing Ashurst as the source was the same number, but belonging to an earlier chapter and relating to a very close shave during Mills bomb training.

Here are the gobbets from Tommy in full ...

p.627

603335794_Tommyp_625.jpg.d66b903aec9e46bfef320114b41e07a6.jpg

The correct footnote 50

1815670805_Tommyfn_50.jpg.e84673bcf3331e2146c5953f4cc878d9.jpg

Apologies to send you to Ashurst in vain.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway