Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'9263 Sgt (Artillery Clerk) R.J. Courtnay' ? looking for...

battiscombe

I have a reference to 'No. 9263 Sergeant (Artillery Clerk) R.J. Courtnay' appointed 'acting Sergeant Major Art Clerk' in June 1916, in 2nd Division.. but cant find a trace of him; so suspect an error in number/spelling of name.. ? any suggestions welcome... he doesnt seem to have made it to a full Sergeant Major in Army List .. thanks

I've trawled FMP and Ancestry and i'm afraid I've found nothing. May i ask which reference you got this chap from?

Chris

which Army list do you refer - Ive only ever seen officers mentioned

Coldstreamer wrote: 'which Army list do you refer - Ive only ever seen officers mentioned'

battsicombe is correct: During the Great War Regular Army Warrant Officers 1st Class are listed in both the Monthly Army Lists and Quarterly Army Lists. I think that the point he was trying to make was that his man was not listed as he was only an acting WO 1.

Thanks for the replies. this comes from 2nd Division CRA war diary .. in typed Divisional RA orders [part of WO95/1317-8 etc]. I suspect one of the clerks who typed the orders has problems with numbers as many do not match .. but I have failed entirely to find a match for this man. As noted above.. The Army Lists do list 'Warrant Officers Class 1'.. around section 2259-2300.. very useful lists not least of all WO Is of all infantry Service Bns ..with date of appointment.. for those interested in 'infanteers' .. but I drew a blank there also..[thinking he may have been made full WO I]