Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th (service) battalion (2nd Leeds) west yorkshire regiment

ooshman

Hi all, I`m collecting badges and insignias of members of my family that served in the first world war. I had a few relatives that were in the west Yorkshire regiment and one of them was in the 17th service battalion 2nd Leeds. Did this battalion use the Horse badge logo or did it use the Leeds pals (crest) badge? as when I type that battalion in on the internet it shows me the Leeds pals badge. Thanks for any help or info. Regards Lee

The 17th were Bantams. Joined with the 15th (Leeds Pals) in Dec 1917 I think. So if the Leeds Pals badge was still being issued at that time and he was serving at that time or after he would have worn one I should think- but wait for confirmation before you try to buy one. If with the 17th only before Dec 1917 I think it would have been the standard West Yorks badge. I expect someone who knows more about the Leeds Pals will give you a more definite reply. Regards, Paul.

The Leeds Pals badge were provided to the Battalion in 1915 after they were raised. The badges like a lot of war raised Pals bns were provided by the battalion from locally raised funds and donations. The Pals badges (with on exception) were not taken on by the Army when they took over supply of their equipment. As such unless you man was a 1915 recruit, or lucky enough to have been given one from stores, would have been issued the standard horse badge. By Dec 17 I would expect all replacement badges to be the horse less any original Pals badges still in the hands of the original volunteers.

You can get a cheap repro for £6 but a genuine one is ten times that price.

If you man was a 17th Bn then he would have worn the standard horse and it is unlikely that he would have worn the 15th badge even after amalgamation in 1917.

post-4655-0-18431500-1453637005_thumb.jp

Hi guys, thanks for the info. I generally thought that it would of been the horse badge. When, in December 1917, the 15th and 17th amalgamated he volunteered for the Tank Corps and was in action with them in Amiens where he sadly lost his life on the 9th august 1918. Regards Lee

• 2 years later...

Lee, I am a Leeds Bantams researcher and have a particular interest in those men who transferred to the Tank Corps in December 1917. I can se that your relative was originally 17/809, so he would have enlisted around the second week of January 1915. I wondered if you have any information about Mr Bullock, how he won his MM for example, any paperwork, medals or family stories.

The Bantams were ideal for tanks - being small men !

regards, Chris

• 1 year later...

My grandfather William Hill is down on Ancestry as receiving the General Service Medal, Victory Medal AND 1914-15 Star...however although the 17th West Yorks were down to be deployed to Egypt in late 1915 I was under the impression that this was cancelled and they were redeployed to France from England in February 1916 and so would not have qualified for the 1914-15 Star. Could you please shed any light on this Chris?

Edited by Guest
Spelling