Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

History of 11th [eleventh) Hussars, Lumley - Look-up

nthornton1979

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has this publication and is willing to check an entry for me?

Lieut. Ainsworth was killed whilst on patrol on the 14th October 1914. I am looking for whatever info the book has on this event.

I have read an account (on here) but the details are not from any other source that have checked so this is my next port of call.

Sources checked are:

War diary

House of Commons Book of Remembrance

Bond of Sacrifice

De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour

Many thanks

Neil

Steven Broomfield

"Before dawn on the 13th (of October) the Regiment stood to arms. B Squadron sent out a patrol under Lieut J S Ainsworth towards Meteren, to watc that flank and to locate the right of the enemy's position. But this time the bad luck went with this gallant troop leader. The patrol went north from Merrisand then turned right-handed along the main road from Stazeele to Meteren. After passing a farm it came t a bridge over a stream, beyond which was a bend in the road. Mr Ainsworth had come up close to the leading man, when suddenly fire was opened from the hedge near the bend in the road. Mr Ainsworth fell in the roadway. He and his horse were riddled with bullets. Private Hall tried to reach him, but the fire was too hot."

The patrol had to retire, though his horse was brought in (it had eleven wounds and had to be destroyed). Ainsworth's body was recovered by the 1st North Staffs later in the day. He was the first oficer fatality in the regiment during the war.

Steven Broomfield

This photograph (from the regimental archives) was taken by the CO, Lt Col T T Pitman. The X marks the spot where Ainsworth fell. Toby Brayley has a "now" photograph.

Ainsworth%202_3.jpg

Nailed it. ... That's exactly what I was looking for!

Many thanks Steven [and tharkin]

PM on way Steven

Neil

Steven Broomfield

Please note typo in the text: should be Strazeele.

Archived