Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Army Corps 1914-1918

Skipman

This is a very useful document which, (I think) lists which Division was in a particular Corps, in a given engagement. Probably available in the LLT, but should be useful.

Opens as a downloadable PDF

A Record of the Battles and Engagements of the British Armies in France and Flanders 1914-1918 by Captain E A James

" This book presents in a concise and handy form a record of the part taken by formations, down to brigades of infantry, in the Great War. Brief as it is, one can well imagine the labour it has cost its author ; most of his leisure for the last four years has been devoted to it. Anyone who has attempted to trace exactly the services of even a single division will realize how great his difficulties must have been in recording those of the whole of the British Forces in France and Flanders. He has taken immense pains to make the record accurate, and so far as I have been able to test it I believe he has succeeded admirably. It is a record which will have great value in the years to come, and in my opinion should find a place in every regimental library."

Mike

Mike

This book was reprinted some years ago by London Stamp Exchnge (now Naval & Militry Press). Though only a small book it is a very useful addition to the official "Report of the Battles Nomenclature Committee", which sets out to define the dates and geographical limits of all the battles, actions and affairs of the Great War, but doesn't mention the formations involved.

The only snag with James' book is that it only covers France and Flanders.

Ron

Mike

This book was reprinted some years ago by London Stamp Exchnge (now Naval & Militry Press). Though only a small book it is a very useful addition to the official "Report of the Battles Nomenclature Committee", which sets out to define the dates and geographical limits of all the battles, actions and affairs of the Great War, but doesn't mention the formations involved.

The only snag with James' book is that it only covers France and Flanders.

Ron

Thanks Ron, and yes, shame it's limited to F & F.

Mike