Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British/Imperial troops with P14 rifles?

Krag

This chap. No clue as to the origin of the picture or the location/date. This is not my image.

12592777_10205264920094597_7637151206087

I have a couple of pictures.

The real trick would be to find a picture that is known to be in France.

The standard thinking is the the vast majority of P'14s went directly into storage. Some were used for training and a very very small number, probably mostly P'14 (F) rifles with the fine/marksman sight or P14 (T) rifles with telescopic sights may have made it to France.

I have looked for a long time for pictures of P14s known to be in France.

Chris

Edit: post-14525-0-50137900-1453494001_thumb.j

Members of the Royal Fusiliers with a racked P'14 Rifle in the background.

Sepoy

Interesting...what do you think of the badges on the two chaps in my pic wearing caps? Also Fusiliers?

Chris

Interesting...what do you think of the badges on the two chaps in my pic wearing caps? Also Fusiliers?

Chris

I agree that those two chaps are "badged" to the Royal Fusiliers.

Sepoy

Hello all.

Hope this maybe of interest. I have not at this point researched these markings.

At first glance the stock disc has.. 313 at the top.

E.L middle right.

And 9474 at the bottom. Could this rifle have been issued to East Lanc's Chap's ?

Cheers all.

post-49107-0-74095400-1453571364_thumb.j

... At first glance the stock disc has.. 313 at the top. ...

I don't have any 'Instructions for Armourers' any later than 1904 edition, but according to that the top marking is the date of issue, so March 1913, and the bottom number is the 'consecutive number' of the rifle. 'E.L' would be correct for the East Lancashire Regiment.

Trajan

A 1913 date on a Pattern 1914 rifle most of which were not delivered until 1916 and on will raise some eyebrows I think.

The screw in the middle of disc does not look like the original to me (too domed) and the wood on the rifle looks either to be in exceptional condition or to have been refinished.

As marker discs both blank and unit marked are available all over the place and can be swapped or added in 30 seconds I would always hesitate to rely on them as an unimpeachable reference as to where a particular weapon has served absent other supporting evidence (which is uncommon)

What are the other stampings on the side of the butt?

Chris

For obvious reasons I didn't want to comment on the potential problems of relationship between date on the disc and the rifle butt - I have no idea as to what model the butt belonged to! But did wonder what it was being posted on a P.1914 thread...

For obvious reasons I didn't want to comment on the potential problems of relationship between date on the disc and the rifle butt - I have no idea as to what model the butt belonged to! But did wonder what it was being posted on a P.1914 thread...

I wonder if this is actually a P14 butt.. It's hard to tell from the angle - it almost looks to me like an MLE butt ....I had assumed because it was posted here it was.

we'll have to wait for further insight from 17107BM!

Chris

Hello all.

After further investigation with the previous owner, the disc is in fact from a rifle used by a relative in the Great War, and kept as a memento.

Never thought to ask about the disc's relevance at the time.

So, the disc is not part of the Rifle history.

And.

post-49107-0-67088700-1453661936_thumb.j

post-49107-0-95984000-1453662007_thumb.j

Nice looking Winchester.

If I am reading the serial number correctly (27100) I think that rifle was probably accepted by British inspectors week ending 12th August 1916. Is it a MkI or MkI*?

Does it still have the volley sight?

Chris

Chris- Would it be appropriate to seek acceptance date for my ERA 16942 '14, which I assume was made at Eddystone.

Ken

Hi Ken

I think your rifle was accepted the week ending July 15 1916, so around a month earlier than the above rifle but from the Eddystone plant.

Just out of interest does your rifle have the grooved stock or the "fatboy" Eddystone stock?

Chris

Chris- Its a "fatboy", has volley sight. Butt is stamped near the disc: Broad Arrow, below IE in a circle, PATT.'14, EY. Close to butt plate is G.G. I assume these are standard stampings. Thanks for the date.

Ken

This chap. No clue as to the origin of the picture or the location/date. This is not my image.

12592777_10205264920094597_7637151206087

Toby: I'd like to use this photo in an article I'm writing. Could I get your permission? Please email me.

In the book "Rape of Ethiopia" there is a picture of African troops in Ethiopia in 1941 with either P17 or P14 rifles. I believe 100,000 P14s were sent to India in WW I.