Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map images required - La Boisselle & Beaumont Hamel

CROONAERT

I'm probably on a hiding to nothing here, but you never know! ....

... I'm looking for some trench map images/extracts for La Boiselle, Beaumont Hamel and Ovillers to use in an article I'm preparing...the earlier dated the better!

Specifically, I could do with images of La Boisselle and Ovillers from late December 1914/early January 1915 and Beaumont Hamel from around the same dates , but also, in this case, from April/May 1915.

Thanks in advance for any assistance here.

Dave.

BTT....

Still looking!

Dave

Happy hunting Dave. All I can find are 1916 or later. If you can figure out which units were holding the line at this time, there might be a map in the Brigade or Battalion diaries?

Mike

I saw the title of this thread and the original poster and thought if it is Croonaert asking, then the maps can't exist!!

Roger

If you can figure out which units were holding the line at this time, there might be a map in the Brigade or Battalion diaries?

Nope... nothing in any of the JMO's for any level for the relevant units (I'd already checked before posting on here).

Cheers.

Dave.

At a push, might be something useful in this excellent site (if your French is good) Click

Mike

Nothing on there for me (in this case), Mike, but an interesting and useful enough site anyway, so thanks for highlighting it!

Dave

Nope... nothing in any of the JMO's for any level for the relevant units (I'd already checked before posting on here).

Cheers.

Dave.

:thumbsup:

Very thorough Dave. Good luck with your search, and if I ever come across one, will let you know.

Mike

I saw the title of this thread and the original poster and thought if it is Croonaert asking, then the maps can't exist!!

Roger

:D

It's certainly a possibility that they don't exist, Roger, but I've got ones for La Boisselle for late January and February 1915 (which is after an event that I've been looking at so will have different features) so I'd assume that there is one for a couple of weeks earlier. I don't know about a Beaumont Hamel trench map for Dec.14/Jan.15, but I do know of their existence for April 1915 (I've got some April/May/June 1915 trench maps for just north of the area (Serre/Hebuterne/Puisieux, etc) but need their southern continuation too for my needs.

Oh...and I don't have ALL of the 1915/17 Western Front from the North Sea to the Swiss border covered in trench maps anyway (no matter what someone once believed!). ... ... I'm missing about 8 miles of it! :whistle:

Dave

• 1 month later...

BTT again in the hope that someone may have something... :unsure:

(My thanks to those of you who contacted me off-forum with suggestions, by the way. Unfortunately, the one (of the three contacts suggested) who deemed me worthy of a reply to my email couldn't help)

Dave

It says December 17th 1914 Click

Home page

Mike

It's dated wrong on the website, Mike.

That's actually a British trench map extract from 57D SE Sheet 4 Provisional Edition A (trench dated 7th September 1915))

Cheers anyway.

Dave

• 4 months later...

Clicked on this from your link in the other thread. For some reason I happen to possess the Beaumont section of 57D  SE I&2 but corrected to August 1916. I know it's out of your requested time band but if it's any use you're welcome.

Have you got 'Topography of Armageddon: British Trench Map Atlas of the Western Front' by Peter Chaumont? I have, and I can look in there for you if it might help.

Gwyn

Thanks Gwyn, but, no, that map isn't of any use to me in this particular case.

I also have a copy of 'Topography of Armageddon'... nothing of use for me in there either!

Thanks anyway,

Dave.

• 7 months later...

Just bringing this back to the top again in hope as I'm, so far, still failing to get hold of any images ....

... I'm looking for some trench map images/extracts for La Boiselle, Beaumont Hamel and Ovillers ... ...the earlier dated the better!...

Specifically, I could do with images of La Boisselle ,Ovillers and Beaumont Hamel from around late December 1914/early January 1915 to around April/May 1915.

Thanks again,

Dave

Is July 1915 too late?

There is a split map in the Diary for 2/West Riding Regt. It's a French Map 18/7/1915 1:20,000 6e Tirage. Definitely shows La Boisselle, Ovillers La Boisselle & Thiepval but not as far north as Beamont Hamel.

TNA REF

Or I could dropbox them.

It shows numbered trenches and points of interest (encircled numbers). The complicated part is that the map square letters use a different system to British maps and the grid does not match up either. La Boisselle is in square L20 rather than the usual 57d X14.

TEW

Thanks for that, TEW.

They are dated slightly too late for my (current) need (mid -June 1915 is my absolute cut-off date), but are certainly of some use to me (the main use to me being the fact that it actually is the French referencing system used rather than the British as many of the other 1915 trench maps I have access to for these areas are fragments or extracts and do not contain the edges from where the references can be taken!)

Thanks again,

Dave