Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Monash Centre at Villers-Bretonneux

BFBSM

There are complaints that the John Monash Centre addition at Villers-Bretonneux is a waste of money.

"After copping criticism about the $100 million war museum in France (including from the prime minister's own son-in-law), the Turnbull government is blaming everyone but itself for proceeding with another of Abbott's wasteful Captain's Picks.'

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/minister-defends-abbotts-wasteful-war-museum-boondoggle,8596

It is entirely unnecessary. The memorial should be left as it is and the museum at the school is a far more honest and pertinent place for those who wish to see remnants of the past. New edifices like this are created for the publicity of the politicians, to show off how much they care. If they really cared they would spend our money ensuring the health, safety and well being of the living especially those who are suffering having served their country and communities.

Jonathan

Gentlemen,

I understand you angst at the price but . . . As an ex-servicemen, military historian, and teacher, I would rather see a quality ANZAC museum attached to the Villers-Bretonneux complex than wasted on some of the other 'waste'. With the increasing interest in ANZAC efforts on the Western Front and the large number of visits from ill-informed adults and school children (yes we don't get much time to cover WW1 and almost all of that goes on Gallipoli) about the nature of the battles, and the scope of the ANZAC achievements. It will stand for future generations and continue to carry out its purpose long after we are all gone, and if it helps generate interest and understanding than it is well worth the price. I would draw your attention to the desire of veterans of the Great War who preferred Halls, school buildings and pools to monuments. I don't see how this is any different.

I have personally organised and led fund raising efforts for the rebuild of the Pozieres School as our schools contribution to 'living' monuments and memorials.

George