Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte JE ANderton 11013 Durham LI

jayne w

Hello,

I am trying to do a little research on my husbands grandfather named above as we have recently inherited his war medals. I have downloaded his MIC from the NA but it gives me no help in finding what unit he served in with the Durham LI. Can any pals help me out? Family lore has it that he was a bandsman but we have nothing to back that up as yet. On the MIC where it says which theatre of war first served in it says 5g (I think) - can anyone shed any light on what that might mean?

Thanks in anticipation

regards

Jayne

Hello Jayne,

The Theatre of War code 5 was for the Asiatic Theatre. 5g was 'Near Hafiz Kor'. I would have thought that this information would be enough for someone on the list to be able identify the battalion. Alternatively, the medal rolls at the National Archives will show which battlion/s he served with.

Regards

Gavin

hello Gavin,

How very interesting! Asiatic theatre - can I ask you how you know this? Is there somewhere I can look these classifications up?

Thanks very much for your information

Jayne

:)

Hello Jayne,

I consulted 'The Collector and Researchers Guide to the Great War' by Howard Williamson, but they are avaliable in other publications. I think the National Archives book on WWI Service Records also lists them. The basic break down is 1 = Western Europe, 2 = Balkans, 3 = Egypt, 4 = African Theatre, 5 = Asiatic Theatre, 6 = Australasia. This changed on 01/01/16, when Russia was added at number 3, and the subsequent theatres all moved one number down the list (Australasia becoming No. 7) The Asiatic Theatre was further broken down into sub groups a - m.

Incidently, I believe the 1st Battalion DLI served in India throughout the war.

Regards

Gavin

Gavin,

Thanks for your post - if you see previous posts you will have seen that he has the three standard medasd from the Great War, in addition he has a medal from Afghanistan 1919 the NW Frontier. Would he have had all these medals if he had been in Asai/India for the duration do you know?

Thanks for all your help

Jayne :huh:

Jayne,

Yes, I believe he would. Many soldiers who remained in India during the war only qualified for a British War Medal. However, those who served in a theatre of war were eligible for the 1914-15 Star and Victory medal. I think all those theatres allocated a code counted, even though the Pathans are not usually considered as participants in the Great War!

Regards

Gavin

Jayne

1st Battalion DLI served in India and Afghanistan during the Great War.

Although a quiet sector they still had 42 n.c.o.s and men lose their lives during this period.

A great number of the soldiers were also posted to other theatres of the war.

The war in Aghanistan ended on August 8th 1919.

From September 21st to December 29th the battalion returned to England.

There are a few pages on the 1st Battalion in the Great War in the DLI book 'Faithful'. The original book is hard to get hold of and expensive however the Naval and Military Press now have a reprint on sale.

But first I would confirm his battalion with the Medal Roll.

SEAN

Jayne,

From the information you and Gavin have provided, your husband's Grandfather was certainly with the 1st Battalion, DLI. That was one of eight regular army battalions retained in India for the duration of the First World War, to provide a degree of experience and expertise to what remained of the British Army on the subcontinent.

Knowing now how the war developed on the Western Front, it might be difficult to appreciate the degree to which all ranks within the battalion were greatly diappointed with news of their lot. All but twenty or so 'Other Ranks', of nine hundred, responded to calls for drafts for other units, mainly in Mesopotamia or Egypt. Many men of the battalion were seasoned soldiers with several years soldiering experience, something its sister regular army 2nd Battalion in Europe would have been envious of. In addition to its duties to garrison the North West Frontier Province of India, the battalion played an important role during the war as a training unit for young officers and by providing experienced officers and men to units in other theatres of operation.

Not surprisingly, perhaps, relatively few members of the battalion received prestiguous awards, and many of those who were decorated served with regiments in other theatres. For operations in the North West Frontier Province members of the battalion were entitled to the 1914-1915 Star. However, by the time permission was forthcoming to wear it, from 23 June 1918, only two officers and six men then with the battalion were entitled to do so.

I can provide a little more information on the action around the Hafiz Kor nullah. The Battalion mobilsed for operations for a second time on 22 October 1916. On 15 November, it rendezvoused with the remainder of its brigade, 2nd (Nowshera) Brigade of the 1st (Peshawar) Division, a mile from Shabkadar on the Suban Khwar road. This is about twelve miles due north of Peshawar.

Orderes were issued for an advanced line to be occupied owing to reports of tribesmen in the Hafiz Kor nullah, near Khwaza Banda ... I'd be surprised if you find this on a map!! Anyway, the advance began at 10:00 hours on a two thousand yards front with the 1st Battalion, DLI on the left of the line and with 'A' and 'D' Companies in the firing line, 'C' Company in reserve and 'B' Company in brigade reserve. Its objectives were occupied with little opposition and, up to 13:00 hours, opposition was limited to desultory firing from some of the tribesmen.

However, by 14:00 hours the opposition became heavier and the first casualties were sustained. At 15:00, one platoon of 'D' Company began runing short of ammunition. Several men were sent back for some, one of who, Private Albert Ernest Gough, was killed in the process. A platoon was sent forward to reinforce 'D' Company with a machine-gun. At about the same time, orders were received for the retirement to commence at 16:00 hours. The enemy followed up boldly as the brigade retired, and they were in the brigade's vacated positions within four minutes of the withdrawal but little damage or injury was caused to the battalion owing to the heavy covering fire from its reserve units.

On that day, the battalion sustained one fatality and ten wounded casualties. The latter included an officer and five men who were wounded severely. These battle casualties represent the bulk of such casualties sustained during the whole war. Some of the fatalities mentioned by Sean related to men serving with other units. A few were by natural causes, and some were caused by disease.

Hope this helps fill in the picture. Don't hesitate to get back to me if you'd like more information on the battalion.

David T.

Jayne,

Just a bit of extra detail; the full definition for Theatre of War 5(g) was 'Near Hafiz Kor, within the area bounded on the south by the bank of the Kabul River, and on the east by a line from Adozai to Tangi, both places included, under the command of Major General C F G Young from 14th to 19th April, 1915, and under command of Major General F Campbell, CB, DSO, between 29th August, 1915 and 10th October, 1915, all dates inclusive'.

It's worth bearing in mind that although Pte Anderton certainly seems to have served with the 1st Battalion in 1915, it is quite possible that he transfered to another battalion, fought elsewhere, and then returned to his original unit in time for the Afghan Campaign of 1919. The medal roll will confirm which battalion/s he served with.

Regards

Gavin

Dear Gavin,

Thank you so much for all the detail you have posted here- its great!!

I am definitely going to go to the Na to see what I can find out. From family I 'm seeing that he was a boy when he joined up and his father/relative was possibly in the regiment too as we have two more medals for a Sargeant major of the same surname as well.

Thanks again for all your help and when I found out more I will post.

Jayne :P

Jayne,

If you do find the appropriate Bn. you may find it useful to log on to the Durham Record Office site and scroll through their DLI list which is colossal.

Not the documents themselves of course but a brief description of what they are and you would need to visit Durham to see them (I think you order them 3 at a time so be prepared for the long haul)

The reason I mention this is because there appeared to be a huge number of photos taken in places like India and the Middle East amongst the 9th Bn. and there must be similar quantities for other Bns.

Although names are rare ,It will give you a flavour of the soldiers during their off-duty moments

Joe.

Joe,

Thanks very much for posting this information. I've just found two photographs of an officer I've been researching, taken in 1915!

Regards

Gavin