Remembered Today:

RGA Query - 278th SB

JefR

I'm trying to find the whereabouts of the 278th Siege Battery or its parent Brigade - the 34th Bde - in the final stage of the war, October/ November 1918.

Neither war diary is on-line yet so I'm hoping that one of the Forum's RGA experts can put his finger on them.

One of the men on the Waldridge, Co Durham war memorial - 155043 Gnr Francis Rowland - died of wounds in 18th Gen Hosp Rouen on 9th Nov 1918, and I'm trying to complete his story.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

JefR

JefR,

As from the 5.11.18 the 34 Bde HQ was at Saultain, and the 4 -6in Hows of 278 moved forward to positions at Sebourg (A14c.15.40.)

On 7.11.18 the battery fired on selected targets in support of XXII Corps operations.

Rgds Paul

Paul,

Thanks once again for your special expertise - very much appreciated.

Charlie,

I had done a search of the N A database for the 34th Div. diary, but it came up blank - I imagine I'd made a typing error (not unusual!) - but thanks to your help I now have it.

Since Frank Rowland died at the 18th Gen Hospital Rouen on 9th Nov 1918 when the 278th SB was at Saultain, it must have taken a good few days for him to cross the whole of France. Also bearing in mind that at that time the battery was advancing at an average speed of about 2 km per day, I reckon the best I can say about the circumstances of his death is that he was wounded in the closing days of the war in the vicinity of Valenciennes.

That's fine, it provides a solution to the problem.

Best regards

Jef

Paul,

Thanks once again for your special expertise - very much appreciated.

Charlie,

I had done a search of the N A database for the 34th Div. diary, but it came up blank - I imagine I'd made a typing error (not unusual!) - but thanks to your help I now have it.

Since Frank Rowland died at the 18th Gen Hospital Rouen on 9th Nov 1918 when the 278th SB was at Saultain, it must have taken a good few days for him to cross the whole of France. Also bearing in mind that at that time the battery was advancing at an average speed of about 2 km per day, I reckon the best I can say about the circumstances of his death is that he was wounded in the closing days of the war in the vicinity of Valenciennes.

That's fine, it provides a solution to the problem.

Best regards

Jef

Jef,

Although Gnr. Rowland would have started his military service at Ripon around the 4th May 1917 you may wish to view the records for 64690 Henry Jones, who died 3 days previously, and may explain his route to the battery and the likely cause of his death.

Kevin

Edit. 18th Gen Hospital was at Camiers, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Kevin

I haven't downloaded the service record yet, but you're quite right about the 18th Gen, Hospital's location - it was the Soldiers Effects record that said Rouen and I didn't check it.

He was buried in Etaples so Camiers makes much more sense.

Best regards

Jef