Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J.A. Stott 33rd Special Batalion

Pavster1980

Hello all

I was wondering if some one out there may be able to help.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday and he said he was interested in finding out about his granddads exploits during ww1. All he knew id he was in the Ox and Bucks and went to Rawalpindi and Afghanistan.

Unfortunately the his medals have long been lost due to a house move so we didn't have his number to work from but I am fairly certain that we have the right chap.

I just wonder if anyone can help us with regards to what the "33rd Special Battalion" might be as it is listed as he was attached to it on the medal rolls, also if anyone can help decipher the rolls reference for the India Medal.

Many thanks in advance

Rich

post-60087-0-27701200-1453380423_thumb.p

post-60087-0-38002700-1453380424_thumb.p

33rd Special Bn. seems to have been raised from men drawn from a number of regiments. CWGC record only on death - a man from the Devons buried in Redruth!

thanks for the info to both of you

Rich

• 3 years later...

I know its a long time since this thread began, but I have just come across a letter dated 9 July 1919 from a soldier in the 1/5th Queen's who was then near Rawal Pindi, India in which he writes about the 33rd Chakdina Special Battalion,'By the way there are no less than 37 units (all infantry) that constitutes this Chakdina Battalion. The name Chakdina was taken from the boat that brought us from Mesopotamia.'

I hope this is still of interest