Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurses and VADs

Paul Garlington

I often wondered what happened to the nurses and VADs who were killed near the front line. Were they buried nearby or were their bodies returned home?

Many thanks

The ones I have seen were buried in France. There are a number around the base hospitals, as would be expected. I'm not sure that there would have been many near to the front line, but the burial policy would probably have been the same as with soldiers. It would have been difficult to draw a distinction between those to be sent home and those to remain overseas for burial.

Just my thoughts.

Ken

(p.s. not from Preston, are you Paul?)

Those who died in military service overseas were subject to the same rules as any male serviceman. All were buried locally and none repatriated after death.

Ken, Terry, Bob,

Thanks for your comments. They have been a great help.

Yes, Ken, I am from Preston. Sounds as if we've come across each other before. Drop me an email.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Ken and Paul

Im from Preston too!!! went to school there, Ashton Secondary??, now Ashton High (knocked down and rebuilt in the last 10 years) either of you know it??

I started training as a Nurse at Preston Royal Infirmary (also knocked down and now uni student accomodation), hence my interest in VADs/nursing!!

Lindsey

A period recruitment poster

post-38-1103344434.jpg

Thats a great image of the time .....and they look as though they are about to break out into song and dance !! not mop brows and paddle around in mucky wards with no facilities!! and thats not even mentioning the dreaded and formidable 'SISTER'!!!