Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Effects register entry help

wulsten

Im trying to research a member of the 9th Kings Royal Rifle Corps who was killed in action 24th August 1916,

His name was Private John Taylor A1683, born and resided Kilburn London, it appears that very little information exists relating to his life prior to the Great War however there does appear to be an interesting piece of info in the effects register relating to a possible brother in San Francisco, can anyone look at the attachment and give any opinions, advice or assistance,

anything appreciated, Geoff

post-9296-0-34196100-1453129273_thumb.jp

The monies were issued and returned as undelivered - presumably sent to the last known address for the brother (looks like is was issued via the consulate general in san francisco so the brother may not have lived there, that may have been the nearest office they used). It looks like half the money was then paid out to a trustee of some sort in 1921 - a confusing entry.

£8 10s net gratuity tells us he got £10 10s gross for 23 months qualifying service - this shows he enlisted no later than October 1914 (possibly September 14)

His will might help but I can't see it on the probate office site.

Craig

Craig, so there may be a possibility of a will ???

Geoff

Possibly so but there's nothing on the probate site as one still existing (a lot of wills aren't available). A soldiers will on service could also be verbal if it could be attested to have been made then it was valid - he may simply have told people he wanted his monies paid to his brother in San Francisco.

Craig

Craig, as ever nothing is simple, i have looked at the 1911 census and there could be several options maybe i need to look at any emmigration returns from Kilburn etc,

Geoff

Craig, as ever nothing is simple, i have looked at the 1911 census and there could be several options maybe i need to look at any emmigration returns from Kilburn etc,

Geoff

With a surname like Taylor is not easy - presumably the consulate tried and failed to track him down. Any idea for possible names of the brother ?

Craig

The words seem to be Public Trustee and Grantee. I don't think that this implies there was a will. Since relatives were not found (which if anything implies there was not a will), the estate would be held for the appropriate number of years until/ in case someone with a legitimate claim claimed it.

(The Heir Hunters programs are all about finding relatives in these circumstances.)

If no one claimed it within the appropriate time the estate passed to the crown/ government.

I expect that this happened many times at the end of WW1.

I read the brother's name as Uno. What is Bier? (Uno's surname? Another brother?

Roger M.

Thanks Roger - I couldn't make it out.

I read it as they had tried to pass it to the brother, which suggests they had established who was eligible for it, and had the monies returned so they then held them for a set period.

Monies which were not disposed of to a beneficiary of some sort were (eventually) passed to a charitable foundation to be used - judging by the pre-war effects lists they were advertised for 4-5 years (at least) before disposal.

The brothers name read like Uno to me but it seemed an odd name and I thought it was me reading it wrong.

Craig

Was Taylor an alias or an Anglicisation or an adopted English surname? It would make sense of the strange entries about the brother.

Was Taylor an alias or an Anglicisation or an adopted English surname? It would make sense of the strange entries about the brother.

Might be a red herring but an Uno Beer was born in Newmarket in 1886. The family were of Swedish origin.

He was living in Hampstead in 1891 and went to Canada in 1910

He was living in California in the 1920's having arrived in San Francisco by boat in 1918.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Uno Beer, 33, born about 1887 in England. Fruitvale Avenue, Oakland, Alameda, California. 1920 USA Census (ancestry)

Immigration year 1918.

Father and mother born in Sweden.

Storekeeper.

Wife: Francis (sic) M also born in England.

Was John Taylor, brother and had changed his surname, brother in law, or step brother perhaps?

Roger M

I think John Taylor was an alias for one of Uno's brothers. The only born in Middlesex (at least on the 1891 census)

post-51028-0-77315500-1453146633_thumb.j

Can't see a death record under the name of Allan Henning Beer.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

There was another brother Richard, born in Hampstead in the first quarter of 1893 (ancestry).

He's also in the 1901 census (fmp)

Roger M

Ok, replying off my phone at moment at work, but I only hope we can solve the mystery, I will have a closer look when u get home, but Craig and everyone thankyou and please ant more help appreciated creep creep

Geoff

Dorathea Beer is also interesting with the kilburn connection

It looks to me like it's the same family and that he had changed his name for enlistment - proving it is the hard part.

Craig

Looking again at the pencil marks on the effects register we can rule out Richard Beer as the man, it appears he was paid some of the monies so my money is back on Allen.

Craig

Craig, could the Richard be his real name as there is another note by that name as unknown, I wonder if any further info is held by cwgc, could it be worth a email ???

Geoff

Craig, could the Richard be his real name as there is another note by that name as unknown, I wonder if any further info is held by cwgc, could it be worth a email ???

Geoff

The CWGC may have something in their archive but I suspect it would be a long shot.

Anyone named on the effect registers should be a beneficiary of the estate - a another long-shot but a Richard Beer died in Middlesex at 66 Green Lane, Sunbury in May 1964. He was aged 70 so would be in the age bracket to be the same Richard.

If the name was an alias it would be noted on the left side of the page next to the soldiers name.

Craig

The CWGC may have something in their archive but I suspect it would be a long shot.

Anyone named on the effect registers should be a beneficiary of the estate - a another long-shot but a Richard Beer died in Middlesex at 66 Green Lane, Sunbury in May 1964. He was aged 70 so would be in the age bracket to be the same Richard.

If the name was an alias it would be noted on the left side of the page next to the soldiers name.

Craig

Craig,

nice one, so as your hunch it may still be Allen if an alias, CWGC email i have nothing to loose i suppose, see what they say and will update you,

Geoff

CWGC reply

We only hold the information given on the link to our web site, which also includes archive documents within it. However, we only hold commemorative records here.

bit confusing reply