Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Maureene

Indian Army War Diaries at British Library incl Casualty Returns

Maureene

I have recently come across an article about the Casualty Returns attached to the War Diaries in the India Office Records at the British Library.

The India Office Records War Diaries are a series of printed publications in respect of the Indian Army from Army Headquarters India.

The only catalogue description I can find says

Title: Indian Army First World War - War Diaries

Reference: IOR/L/MIL/17/5/2421-4246

Date: 1914-1921

Held by: British Library: Asian and African Studies (previously Oriental and India Office Library), not available at The National Archives

Language: English

Extent: 1826 volumes

Conditions of access:

Open

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/38fde128-a3e0-4e61-80ac-fdb7e735a81f

(Similar wording from the British Library catalogue). I suppose that the British Library must have some sort of further catalogue for these 1826 volumes, but I can’t see anything online.

The article about the Casualty Returns is http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/untoldlives/2014/09/finding-indian-soldiers-who-served-in-world-war-one.html

"Finding Indian soldiers who served in World War One"

“At a time when many people are looking for their ancestors fighting during the First World War, the Casualty Appendices to the War Diaries are a great source of information for Indian soldiers who were killed or injured.

There are dozens of volumes covering various fronts: France, East Africa, Egypt, Aden and Persia. Strangely there are not any casualty appendices for the Force D station in Mesopotamia. The War Diaries exist for the force, but it is quite difficult to extract the names of the killed and wounded. The volumes are not indexed”

If anyone has looked at these war Diaries or Casualty Returns, it would be good if you could provise further details.

Cheers

Maureen