Remembered Today:

Rifle Division Memorial, Hooge, Ypres

Julianw

I am in the process of publishing the memoirs of my Great Uncle Lt Andrew Nugee, 9th Bn the Rifle Brigade who was blinded at Hooge in July 1915. He makes reference to a Rifle Division memorial in a visit to the salient after the war in 1932. I attach this extract

" I found the place where I had been wounded: although all the trenches had been filled in, the little stream still ran through the culvert under the Menin Road, through which I had been carried in the darkness of that July night. On a low rise above the dip where our line had run, in a plantation of young trees, stood the memorial to our division, a tall cross, and on the plinth was carved the hunting horn which is to be found on the badges of all Rifle and Light Infantry regiments. I wonder if it still stands now that the Second War has swept past it, and if so who cares for it. "

Can anyone tell me this memorial still exists?

Julian

Julian,

As John's link shows, it is now at Hill 60 having been moved there. Strange really as Hooge or the Bellewaarde Ridge was a good spot for it with a lot of the Regiments battalions at one time or another having been involved around the Hooge area.

Andy

Julian,

As John's link shows, it is now at Hill 60 having been moved there. Strange really as Hooge or the Bellewaarde Ridge was a good spot for it with a lot of the Regiments battalions at one time or another having been involved around the Hooge area.

Andy

It was originally, IIRC, somewhere in the region of Rifle Wood and was shifted because of ground subsidence (I am assuming that it is the 14th (Light) Division Memorial that is being talked about in the original quote). Since Rifle Wood was riddled with tunnels/underground workings, and presumably there had been a problem with the memorial because of the threat of damage to it because of ground movement, it was moved to Hill 60. Dredging my memory, I seem to recall that we in the Durand Group were approached to investigate the tunnels there by the landowner (i got the impression with a view to development of the site for housing or whatever). We opted not to touch it with a barge pole, on the grounds that working on tunnels in the Salient in particular is a risky business because of the nature of the Ypres clay.

Thank you every one I have made a note to this effect in the memoirs

Julian

• 1 month later...

unveiling the monument near Railway Wood in 1926 by Major-General Couper, replaced to Hill 60 in 1978

regards,

Cnock

post-7723-0-82843800-1455890568_thumb.jp

I am in the process of publishing the memoirs of my Great Uncle Lt Andrew Nugee, 9th Bn the Rifle Brigade who was blinded at Hooge in July 1915.

Julian

Julian,

You're already aware of our main Hooge topic, but other Pals will certainly find it very interesting: 14th (Light) Division - Hooge Liquid Fire attack & later actions

Don't forget to follow all the links therein to other Hooge threads.

It also includes Julian's photograph of his great uncle.

Cheers,

Mark

According to one of the current weekend house owners who I spoke with. Ground subsistence was simply an excuse for removal. Further development was indeed proposed and in part was achieved with planning applications for further weekend housing development. His words and to be honest here I believe him.

We kicked this one around back in 2007-8!

14th (Light) Division memorial relocated from Railway Wood to Hill 60. From memory, this was because of subsidence of the ground at the original site.

Don't like to contradict you Chris, but I am pretty sure it was due to land of the Bellewaarde estate being sold off in the 70s. The memorial was then, as now, in the care of CWGC, so there was no major issue about it being moved. Although it was indeed a shame it was moved, as it is out of context at Hill 60.

See Relocation of memorials - post #2 (and read post #3 also) and further down the same topic, I posted another picture Relocation of memorials - post #37
Ypres___Hill_60___14th__Light__Division_Memorial__50_.jpg

[source: Flanders Then & Now - The Ypres Salient & Passchendaele by John Giles]

and Andy's :ph34r: pertinent thoughts elsewhere :poppy: ...

The 14th Division Memorial was originally at Bellewaarde, not sure when it was moved to Hill 60 but it was certainly more fitting to be at Bellewaarde with the losses the Division suffered there.
Andy

Cheers,
Mark