Remembered Today:

Empty grave?

Digger

During one of my photographic trips for war memorials and war graves, I came across a grave with a name of a soldier that is actually buried in Wimereux Communal Cemetery. The grave is not one where parents or siblings have included a commemoration on an existing grave (he died in 1918), it is simply a grave with just his details on it. My questions is (finally) is this unusual or has anyone come across this sort of thing before?

Hi

The war poet, 2nd Lt. Harold Parry is buried in Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery yet there is a headstone in Bloxwich Cemetery, Walsall.

Here is Bloxwich

post-10072-0-96925700-1452945939_thumb.j

Regards,

Graeme

The famous "Big Game" Hunter Captain Frederick Courtney Selous DSO, 25th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, who was killed in action on 4th January, 1917, was buried where he fell at Chogowali, Tanzania. However, due to the problems in reaching his isolated grave, a standard CWGC grave stone was erected at the Dar es Salaam Upanga Road Cemetery which I visited in 2000.

Current CWGC records show that his grave was reinstated during 2007, so I assume that his stone at the Upanga Road has now been removed.

Sepoy

"Special Memorials" also have no burial beneath the headstone however, they normally carry the words that they are believed or, known to be buried as an unknown soldier within that applicable Cemetery. The other Special Memorials are generally with a small obelisk stating that they were buried in the area and their graves were lost.

Peter

Many thanks for all your help. I will post again if I find any further information.

CWGC headstone of Australian Robert Henry Foers in St Mary Magdalene churchyard Whiston near Rotherham S Yorks. Believe he is buried in the Foers family grave nearby which has a large marble headstone .

His grandfather James Foers was baptized in Whiston Church in 1827 and emigrated to Australia in the 1850s. Robert Henry was born in Victoria in 1892.

He was wounded in his right thigh on 5th Aug 1916 at the Battle of Pozieres causing a compound fracture and was treated at 26th General Hospital at Etaples before being evacuated to England on 20th Aug 1916.

His wounds turned septic and he died at Carrington Military Hospital Nottingham on 24th Sep 1916 aged 24.

His body was brought to Whiston by his relatives, Mrs Ann Foers her son Frank Cecil Foers and daughter Caroline Everest Fawcett (nee Foers).

post-84374-0-36198000-1453059597_thumb.j

On a bit of a tangent I've always wondered why John Lynn VC has a Special Memorial at Grootebeek, often incorrectly described as his grave, when he was originally buried in Vlamertinghe Churchyard. Why didn't they place it a bit nearer to the actual burial site, such as one of the two Vlamertinghe Cemeteries?

On a bit of a tangent I've always wondered why John Lynn VC has a Special Memorial at Grootebeek, often incorrectly described as his grave, when he was originally buried in Vlamertinghe Churchyard. Why didn't they place it a bit nearer to the actual burial site, such as one of the two Vlamertinghe Cemeteries?

Well, if nothing else, it is a rather more picturesque location. Doubt if that was their reasoning, though!