Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jack Crew leader

armourersergeant

Have had some imformation come back to me from Jock who did a look up for me and wondered if anyone could answer a question!

I was led to believe he was gassed out of the war which could be born by the fact he was given the SWB but he does not seem to have been discharged until 15th march 1919.

Would any wounded soldiers have been discharged after the war only when they were deemed fit to return to service if you see what i mean?

Also does any one know what discharged under para 393 xvi means?

As a last one please, can anybody help with info on the 337 bde RFA as this would appear to be his brigade.

ta

arm

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Silver War Badges were issued up to the end of 1919. If the soldier concerned was gassed, he would have received treatment and moved to a place to recuperate before being medically graded by examination. A medical examination board would take the decision as to whether he was no longer fit enough to serve. From my researches this whole process took just over a year for 3 gun shot wound cases: Kearl & Roberts MGC & Hilton E Yorks Regt

Ian

Jock you are crediting me with intelliegence i dont have which ever way you write it i didnt have a clue!!!

thanks again for the info

Arm.

Just to update this post with new info in case anyone else has some helpful facts for me.

he first enlistedoct 1914 in the TF what looks like 1st HG brigade RFA? any help appreciated!

He was part od A battery 337th Brigade, RFA from late 1916 as a driver and at some point he seems to have been transfered to Brigade HQ. A different post says this regt never went over seas yet his records when he left show he was still with the same battery?...... Help !

Thats about it

Any help appreciated

Arm.

I think it was me Arm. 337 Bde with 67 Div - 67 Div stayed in Britain, 337 Bde ceased to belong to the Div after 19/11/17. The Order of Battle doesn't say where they went to. Does that help any?

Thanks,

the story continues bit by bit but nobody said it was gonna be easy

Arm.

• 5 years later...

Hi there

My great uncle was in 337th Brigade, dying in Mesopotamia in June 1918 of dysentry. I'm searching for more info, but we have around 13 photos of his from India 1916, pictures of some of the people around him (we think the 18th Indian Division). We think he (Francis William Down) was in India as part of the territorials, and was sent to Mesopotamia and joined 337th there, although I'm researching further!

Just to update this post with new info in case anyone else has some helpful facts for me.

he first enlistedoct 1914 in the TF what looks like 1st HG brigade RFA? any help appreciated!

He was part od A battery 337th Brigade, RFA from late 1916 as a driver and at some point he seems to have been transfered to Brigade HQ. A different post says this regt never went over seas yet his records when he left show he was still with the same battery?...... Help !

Thats about it

Any help appreciated

Arm.