Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 USA Wooden ship graveyard

museumtom

Interesting read, thanks Tom

What an astounding story! Thanks for posting it!

Trajan

Thanks lads, I knew ye would find it interesting.

Great story. I would have liked to see a picture of one or two of the ships as they were when built. Can anyone oblige?

Cheers Martin B

A waste of wooden salvage, but if they were badly made then a fitting end may have saved a lot of seamen from being lost at sea ?

True, but I can't help but feel how nice it would be for marine archaeologists to practice on and learn and make some useful research at the same time... Do the underwater lot at Texas A&M know about this, I wonder?

Trajan

Here you go, Martin B ... United States Shipping Board Merchant Fleet Corporation wood ship S. S. Aberdeen, 4000 dead-weight ton wood ship built by Grays Harbor Motorship Corp. Aberdeen, Washington, USA. Launched in 17 days... I paddled around Mallows Bay, Charles County, Maryland many times in the 1960s

post-111052-0-91459600-1452812451_thumb.

post-111052-0-25312300-1452813898_thumb.

Thanks Cpl Coleman for the pix. They don't look very fit for purpose, I have to say.

Cheers Martin B

Some technical details of the ships for anyone who is interested: http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015080010682;view=1up;seq=320

Not my thing at all, but thanks for posting what became an enjoyable read! Interesting to see the contract allowed for the possibility of a twin-screw, subject to approval, and also the way the money was to be paid. And lots of other good stuff to see, including that stranded cruiser and the stranded submarine!

Trajan

An interesting story. Thanks for posting it. I may have to take the kayak out there in the spring and check out the site.

Great idea Mr Roswell, perhaps post a few pics here?

What a terrible waste (on both links)............... reminds me of all of those surplus aircraft laid out in the Utah desert.

Great post, thank you. unbelievable that they could launch a ship in a little over 2 weeks!

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20111012/ARTICLES/111019928

A similar story from WW2 of 500+ liberty ships in a graveyard.

Fascinating!

I see that the last one was scrapped... What's the betting there is a museum or two somewhere that would love to find an unaltered example of one of these?!

Trajan

Fascinating!

I see that the last one was scrapped... What's the betting there is a museum or two somewhere that would love to find an unaltered example of one of these?!

Trajan

Not to veer too far off topic but a great read about a near tragedy involving a Liberty Ship is the book 'Simple Courage'.

I agree re: a museum and wonder if there are any in good enough condition to try and save?

When I was a youngster I worked for a while as a longshoreman, dirty and dangerous work, however I recall seeing a Liberty ship still in service, and even still had the gun mounts and shields.

khaki

• 4 months later...