Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C.G.T. Niagara... role during 1914-18?

CROONAERT

I'm trying to find out the specific role of the CGT Niagara during the war years. I know that the CGT converted most (all?) of its ships into troopships. hospital ships, etc etc, during the war years but would like to know what the Niagara may have been converted to. I suspect that, especially after 1917, it was utilised as a troopship (it's main route was Le Havre - New York (and Canada?)), but can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks.

Dave.

After a look around I tried googling on "Paquebot Niagara" and found this thread:

http://pages14-18.mesdiscussions.net/pages1418/Forum-Pages-d-Histoire-aviation-marine/marine-1914-1918/niagara-transatlantique-sujet_1727_1.htm

It's in French but I can probably translate it, although I suspect you may be better at that than I am!

seaJane

SeaJane beat me to it by 1 minute LOL

Lots of useful information, if you read French.

Mars

:blush::D

Thanks for the link.... interesting stuff indeed! I was especially surprised by it's role in the moving of refugees in 1914 - Armentieres to La Pallice (La Rochelle) via Calais... I wonder what became of them and how many stayed?

Anyway, the reason for my interest is that I've just acquired a Fascicule de Mobilisation/Extrait de la Matricule des Gens de Mer booklet to an Inscrit Maritime crewman who served on board from May 1913 to June 1920 (and, again, for a month in 1927) and wondered what he might have got up to during the war years (he was only 28 when war was declared, so I wondered why he wasn't called for military service in the Marine Nationale .... looks like he actually was (more a case of military (type) service coming to him in his everyday job, rather than his having to leave his job to enter military service!)

Cheers.

Dave

Thanks for that, Mars (only just noticed your extra reply).... your link actually pre-empted and answered another query of mine!

Dave