Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals/CCS in Salonika

jp1885

Hi folks,

With certain medical establishment diaries now being digitised by the NA, I thought I’d take a look, as two of my ancestors that I am researching were wounded (one subsequently died). However I first need to know what CCS/hospitals they were treated in.

I’m reasonably sure that my great uncle was wounded with the 9th Gloucestershires during the first battle of Doiran in Salonika on 25/04/17. Does anyone know what CCS, field hospital etc. was operating in the area of the 9th Gloucestershires at this time?

He later died during the attack on the Roche Noire Salient (again Salonika) on 01/09/18 with the 2nd Gloucetsreshires. Again, what medical establishments were around and about?

Additionally (not Salonika related, but I'm too lazy to post a separate request), family legend has it that my grandad was wounded during the 100 days offensive. I’m reasonably sure that he fought in the final battle of the Sambre with the 9th Devonshires on 04/11/18. Once again, any idea what CCS etc. would be attached?

Sorry – rather vague questions I know!

Thanks in advance.

jp1885,

Sorry can't help on the Salonika CCS question but someone will soon, we have a number of forum members who are knowlegable in this area.

I think you will have to overcome your laziness and post your western front question under 'Units and Formations', if you leave it here the western front 'Experts' are unlikely to see it.

jp

2 Glos were with 78 Infantry Bde of 26 Division. The Field Ambulances for that Division were 78/79 and 80, 78 FA may have served 78 IB casualties, if busy then any FA served a casualty in front of it. FA Diaries do not usually show names of casualties treated, just quantity daily.

There were 6 Casualty Clearing Stations in Salonika between May 1915 and Jun 1919. You will need to dig to see which casualty went to which CCS though. CCS 25/27/28/31/35 and 40, covered by WO95/ 4806 and 4807 at Kew.

FA Diary might say which CCS they sent casualties to. Limited info remains on this subject.