Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Montigny - which one?

Beselare

Having read Martin Middlebrook's book The Kaiser's Battle I am now planning a trip to visit all the sites he mentions. I was doing quite well until I came across a mention of the village/town of Montigny. In my French atlas there are no less than 51 'Montignys'! I can easily eliminate some of them but it occurred to me that a Forum member might be able to give me some idea where the 'Montigny' in the book is situated.

Many thanks

Bob

If you look at the CWGC site, and search Cemeteries on the word 'Montigny', there are only 6 listed, with 2 at the same location.

Bearing in mind the WW1 situation I would suggest, in the absence of any really informed information (don't look at me!), that you concentrate on those listed in the Somme, Nord and Pas de Calais areas.

The logic is that is that if activity took place in a location called 'montigny', then there are more than likely to be casualties and, of course, burials.

Just a hint.

Bob

I met Martin Middlebrook last year and purchased one of his books_but about WW2_ so not

sure of the details in The Kaisers Battle. But if it is about the German offensive in March 1918

then there is a place called Montigny sur L'Hallue about 15kms NE of Amiens. The German

Advance probably got near to here- and I'm sure others will know more

Regards

Geoff

To Burlington and Geoff

My apologies for taking so long to reply - I wanted to be absolutely certain that I had the correct place. After much further reading and research, I have identified the correct 'Montigny'. It is east of Peronne, west of Jeancourt and S.S.E. of Hervilly. It has been quite a task to locate all the places in the book and if anyone has a copy and cannot find a particular place, trench or redoubt, please let me know and I will supply you with details of the location.

Bob

I am scheduled to visit Montigny in May, BUT not the one you mean. This one, in fact there are 2 cemeteries, is in the Somme region, and is otherwise known as Montigny sur L'Hallue