Remembered Today:

Frontier Control Duty 1916

owen4256

I recently came across a reference to 3rd Division Cyclist providing an officer and 37 men for "Frontier Control Duty". The unit was based south of Ypres at the time but as far as I know the Dutch Belgian border was entirely in German occupied Belgium so I am struggling to work out which frontier would need to be controlled. Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards

Clive

What about the Belgian / France border.

Ploegsteert directly south of Ypres on the border with France, and Armentieres just over the same border point. WD would say where exactly 3 Div was based at the time.

Thanks both. That does seem to be the only logical explanation but the rationale for British troops doing frontier control on the Franco-Belgian border still escapes me. Intrigued by the nature of the controls in place "did you load this GS wagon yourself sir?" doesn't really seem approporiate.

Regards

Clive

There were Belgian refugees still heading for France. And many other possible persons crossing. They needed to make sure that no enemy tried to pass for a Belgian refugee to come spy on the Allies.

Mars

Mars

Thanks for the clarification, not a duty I had ever seen before in a war diary .

Regards

Clive

3rd Division was in Second Army for the whole of 1915 and the first half of 1916, firstly in II Corps and later in V Corps. This confirms that they were somewhere in the Salient throughout that time. Does that tally with the report you mention? - it probably does, as divisional cyclist companies were consolidated into corps cyclist battalions in about May 1916.

Ron

Ron

Yes it does, first three months of 1916. They went into IX Corps Cyclist Battalion on 11th May.

Clive