Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interimsseitengewehr 14

trajan

Having just come by one of these babies, but no chance of photographing it yet, I thought I'd leap in half-way through the weekend to see what other GWF members might have - I suspect (know?) Sawdoc has one (or several!), but the only one I could find on GWF through its rudimentary search engine was this one here at: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=226302&hl=beka#entry2246397

Mine is also a BK = Beka, the worse made of the lot apparently... Still, it came with the proper scabbard and it is the first example of a type I did not have in my small collection, and so I am happy :)

Anyway, having alerted one and all to this one and this topic, I'll come back when I can with mine - but being a fan of 'bookish learnin' I should not and so will not leave without naming the major work on these ones (including the 'Gottschos'!), namely: Imperial German Bayonets: The Seitengewehr 1914 Models, I.Jackson, Stoneleigh Press, 2012 (of course, no relation to the writer or publisher!)

Trajan

Here's my two Bayard examples. The top one is a bit odd as it has no fraktur marks and the right side grip has been very professionally checkered. Christian Mery states in his German Ersatz Bayonet book that the scabbard of this one was also produced by Bayard during the German occupation.

750e1870-716a-40d8-9b24-aa969eef1fdb.jpg

08c57f2f-dba4-4769-b87c-f67cb75e7b9a.jpg

A nice pair there Josh! I do like those Belgian blades - they look so neat and precisely made!

That's an interesting grip also - one side only? Is the other also that ebony-type material or brown wood? I only ask because I have a part-grip on a private-purchase kS98 that is also black and checkered like that - it may even be bakelite.

I assume that the fraktur on the bottom one is the usual I/J type?

As to the scabbards, Jackson in his book mentions that these Bayard ones come in all sorts of IS 14 ones, but a number have been found in the Ersatz scabbard with the two lines in imitation of the leather scabbards, the type often found with the EB 45 which also has a Belgian-type blade. The scabbard with your top example, though, which Jackson calls the 'Austrian type' seems to be a specific Bayard type, partly by association, but also as the frog stud on these sometimes has the same I/J fraktur.

Julian

A nice pair there Josh! I do like those Belgian blades - they look so neat and precisely made!

That's an interesting grip also - one side only? Is the other also that ebony-type material or brown wood? I only ask because I have a part-grip on a private-purchase kS98 that is also black and checkered like that - it may even be bakelite.

I assume that the fraktur on the bottom one is the usual I/J type?

As to the scabbards, Jackson in his book mentions that these Bayard ones come in all sorts of IS 14 ones, but a number have been found in the Ersatz scabbard with the two lines in imitation of the leather scabbards, the type often found with the EB 45 which also has a Belgian-type blade. The scabbard with your top example, though, which Jackson calls the 'Austrian type' seems to be a specific Bayard type, partly by association, but also as the frog stud on these sometimes has the same I/J fraktur.

Julian

Just the right grip and it's wood, although I thought it was bakelite as well before it arrived in the mail. The bottom s14 has the J type fraktur with one on the spine and two on the pommel. Speaking of unusual grips, I recently ran across an undated Deutsche Maschinenfabrik 84/98 with checkered leather grips like those found on the KS98.

Having just come by one of these babies, but no chance of photographing it yet, .... Mine is also a BK = Beka, the worse made of the lot apparently...

Here it is -

post-69449-0-04084800-1453300313_thumb.j post-69449-0-09361200-1453300403_thumb.j post-69449-0-94374300-1453300416_thumb.j

Bekka are the third most common IS 14 to show up today these days and are the worse made of the lot - but as I have no IS 14 in my collection, I am happy to have it! This has the standard 'G' fraktur usual on BK examples, and came with the 'standard' IS 14 scabbard, as is often found with BK ones.

Things to note on these Bekka ones are the badly positioned rivets on the crossguard as in the second photograph, and the pin used to fix the tongue and groove fastening between the tang and the pommel, just visible in the third photograph as that little circle on the upper right of the pommel, just below the junction of the pommel and the grip.

Trajan