Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest Reginald Edkins - 14 yrs old

greenman126

I'm completing some research into family members for an elderly relative and she asked about the soldier mentioned above.

Ernest Reginald Edkins - born 06 January 1899. In 1911 he was living at 1 St. Thomas Terrace, Granville Street, Birmingham with his mother and siblings.

Family stories say he enlisted when he was 14 years old and his DoB would suggest this was the case. I have tracked some medal information which gives the following information.

10/18992 - Lancashire Regiment

16/45793 - Royal Irish Rifles

268091 - Monmouthsire Regiment

The theatre of war given is '2b Balkans' and qualifying date '19/11/15'.

Other family stories mention that he served as 'Batman' to a Major Strong whilst with the Royal Irish Rifles.

Is there anything else the service/regimental numbers can tell me about his service and the dates he served with the various Regiments?

Any help/advice gratefully received.

I'm completing some research into family members for an elderly relative and she asked about the soldier mentioned above.

Ernest Reginald Edkins - born 06 January 1899. In 1911 he was living at 1 St. Thomas Terrace, Granville Street, Birmingham with his mother and siblings.

Family stories say he enlisted when he was 14 years old and his DoB would suggest this was the case. I have tracked some medal information which gives the following information.

10/18992 - Lancashire Regiment

16/45793 - Royal Irish Rifles

268091 - Monmouthsire Regiment

The theatre of war given is '2b Balkans' and qualifying date '19/11/15'.

Other family stories mention that he served as 'Batman' to a Major Strong whilst with the Royal Irish Rifles.

Is there anything else the service/regimental numbers can tell me about his service and the dates he served with the various Regiments?

Any help/advice gratefully received.

From a quick look at service records:

#18994 appears to have been allocated April 1915.

#45772 appears to have been allocated April 1918

Craig

Note that is Medal Index Card also states him as class Z - which is of course reservist, after hostilities ceased.

There is a marriage record of:-

Name: Ernest Reginald Edkins

Birth Year: abt 1899

Marriage Date: 21 Nov 1921

Marriage Age: 22

Marriage Place: Birmingham, St Thomas, Warwickshire, England

Spouse: Laura Harbour

Spouse Gender: Female

Spouse Marriage Age: 21

Father: William Reymald Edkins

Spouse's Father: Thomas Harbour

Is this your relative? If so then this confirms his date of Birth as 1899 with him being in Theatre in 1915 as confirmed by his MIC, So at the very least he was 16 Years Old,

Thanks all for the info so far.

Yes - 'Kitchener's Bugle' that is Ernest. I've also spent the afternoon trying to track down the 'Major Strong' referred to in the family stories, but no luck so far!

Edited by greenman126

Thanks all for the info so far.

Yes - 'Kitchener's Bugle' that is Ernest. I've also spent the afternoon trying to track down the 'Major Strong' referred to in the family stories, but no luck so far!

There are no Medal Index Cards to a Major Strong with the RIR's.

Craig

Cheers Craig - I'm drawing a blank everywhere as well. I'm starting to think facts may well be mixed up due to time, so going to see if a Major Strong served in any of the other Regiments Ernest served with.

I suspect the officer you are after is Stronge, Charles Norman Lockhart - Capt in RIR

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5429604

More on him here, I thought I recognised the name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Stronge

London Gazette gives R.I.R - Temp. Capt. C. N. L. Stronge, M.C., from R. Innis. Fus., to be temp. Capt. (withseniority 2 July 1916) and to be Adjt. 7 Apr. 1918.

He had a sad death

stronge.jpg

Tough one determining who he went to Gallipoli with. Can't have been any of the Bns listed on his Medal Rolls. 3 and 10 South Lancs were Resevre Bns based in UK. I would suggest 6 South Lancs is the most likely candidate. Monmouths and 16 RIR didn't serve there.

Rgds

Tim D

Again many thanks to all - I'm always amazed by the response.

Lots to follow up, especially the lead for Capt. Stronge.

• 4 weeks later...

Iam the grt grandson of Ernest and just noticed your post through google. Everything you have put down I have found to. It istrue about him being Major Strong or Stronge batman.I know this has somewhere in my fathers belongings to Ernest we hve a photo of him and Im not sure if there is a wedding invitation there to will have to check next time im at my fathers whom im guessing you might know. Has for Ernest my father has his medals and did go to Gallipolli but was sent back with disentry has far as im aware Regards Andrew Edkins

Thanks for posting that!

Yes, thanks edkinaj

Out of interest, how are you related to the relative mentioned in the first post in this thread ?

Hi edkinsja - be great to discuss all this further. It would appear we are related!

I'll send you a PM