Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17077 Pte.G.Eadsforth

Johnny S

I don't know if I'm going about this the right way, but I'm trying to find out all I can about a (distant) relative of mine. He was 17077 Pte.G.Eadsforth and served in the Manchester Regiment. A family rumour states that he was a "Manchester Pal", but I don't know.

Thanks for any assistance that you may offer.

John

John.

He was indeed one of the "Pals". He was was in I Platoon of A Coy, 20/Manchesters (5th City Battalion) -ie. The "5th Manchester Pals". and was one of the original members.

If you look at the main site, you can find a generalised list of the actions that his unit took part in. There is also a book by Michael Stedman entitled "Manchester Pals", but I think it's now out of print.

Email me off-forum and I'll send you a photo of his platoon in 1914/15.

dave.

John.

I can also tell you that he was entitled to a 1915 star Trio

(You're not going to believe what a small world this is !!!!!! :o )

I thought the name was familiar, so I looked through my collection of "Pals" medals and.......

post-1-1052695523.jpg

If you can prove to me the family connection (not that I don't trust you), I'll let you have them (I've got the complete trio) for the price that I paid, which is less than the current market value. (I like medals to go back to the safekeeping of the descendants if possible, but can't afford to give them away! :P )

Contact me off forum ,if you're interested.

Dave.

Guest Stoner

Dave and john

hopefully this is going to be an instance of medals returning to their rightful home, If it is then a bloody great big thumbs up from me!!! :D

Mark

Hi Dave:

Your last post proves two things: the power of the Internet as a communications tool and there are still a few honourable men left in the world.

Well done, I tip my hat to you. :)

Garth

hopefully this is going to be an instance of medals returning  to their rightful home

It is!!! :D

(By the way, thanks for the compliment Garth.That's the first time anyones called me that. (You obviously don't know me!!! :lol: )

Dave.

Dave.

I am with Garth & Mark on this. There is a posting elswhere on this forum intimating that there is something a bit 'twee' about the way this forum is used.

This is a fine example of what we are really about.

I hope if I was put in the same position as you were, I would have reacted in the same way.

John.

John, a translation please for this lad in a far away place. What does "twee" mean? I thought my regularly watching Corrie and Heartbeat gave me an understanding of modern English, but never heard this before . . . :blink:

Peter

P.S. Bravo to Dave for his generous action.

Peter

The best way I can describe it is 'over precious, or pretty in a way that you find unpleasant or silly'.

Not my opinion I hasten to add.

I don't think it is that modern, more likely an indication of my age !

John