The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Lancers Brothers?

JRG

Hello I am researching a Corporal (Shoesmith) L 1259 T.P. COOP of the 9th Lancers, holder of the 1914 Star. His name is believed to be Thomas. born. Harrogate. Wounded at Ypres in 1915

It is though he had brothers who also served in WW 1

L. 939 J.W. COOP 9th Lancers died 07.05.20 Tidworth

Private 26438 G.W. COOP Grenadier Guards died 12.10.17 Commemorated at Tyne cot Memorial

any help would be appreciated.

26438 George Walter . 1259 Thomas Percy L 939 John William b 1889 buried Tidworth Mil Cem All born Harrogate sons of Walter and Sarah Coop

Thank you for the information, it seems likely that the only survivor was Thomas Percy COOP , who it is assumed was a pre war regular.

George Walter Coop,

A quote from a local newspaper.

Harrogate Herald - 5th December 1917

W H Breare letter

I should like to ask the help of you boys in the following case :

Mrs Coop, of 3 Willow Grove, Bilton, Harrogate, had a letter from the Major of her husband's regiment stating that he had been wounded on October 12th.

Strange to say, the only reply to her letter of inquiry was that it was not known which hospital he was in. Mrs Coop thinks he may have been taken prisoner.

The name of the soldier is Private G W Coop, 26438, Grenadier Guards. If anyone perusing these lines can send information to the above address it would greatly relieve Mrs Coop's anxiety.

John William COOP seems to have taken his own life while in custody at Tidworth.

A quote from a local newspaper.

On 24th March 1920, the Andover Advertiser headline read, "Toplis Still at Large". Outraged villagers in Collingboure Ducis set upon and beat up Private Coop, a deserter from the 9th Lancers

in mistake for Toplis. Coop managed to steal a bicycle and escaped, but he was captured in Burbage.

He was returned to the Lancers Guard Room in Tidworth, where he later hanged himself in his cell.

How odd a friend of mine sent me these yesterday, asking if I could find anything out!

Would you mind if I shared with him any information found? I would be happy to pass on the owners details.

COOP.jpg

Hi Toby, already engaging with the owner of medals on another forum. Kind regards (Bruce F.B.)

Thanks rjyadee,

seems like he had a good innings as a pre war soldier.

An amazing innings in the war itself. In at the start and in at the end when the Cav Div crossed the Rhine and finished up in Bonn. Amazed also to see the pic on the LLT where the Lancers are still equipped with.......lances!! in 1918.