Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Feldpost card

Khaki

My son just gave me a WW1 German postcard which has some curious features, its a standard type of rppc, group photo with a space on the front for writing it has written 'lichtsignal... and it fades out, that translates to me as light signal... perhaps a unit that uses a heliograph.

The reverse is handwritten in sutterlin script and dated 8.9.16 and has a cancellation stamp Ges Gardekom..? anyway to get to the point of my post question it has been stamped in the center ZURUCK which translates as back/return, the card also has additional different hand writing of which I can recognize gefallen/ fallen, (KIA). There is also a green ink handwritten addition at the top left with the same last name as the addressee and 7/R F R 206.

Taking all this into account do you think that this is a card that has been recovered from a fallen soldier and officially forwarded/zuruck to the addressee?

khaki (sorry I am unable to scan the card)

Hi,

I suspect it was never delivered to the soldier, when it arrived at the unit it would have been marked "Zuruck" "Gefallen" and returned to sender in the same way British cards and letters were.

I have several examples in my collection and the general condition leads to the assumption stated above.

regards

John

• 2 years later...

Hi Khaki, It would be correct that the postcard was mailed to the soldier, and upon arrival at the soldiers unit it would be marked Gefallen and then sent back to the original sender. Do you mind sharing a photo of this card?

Hi Khaki!

If your scanner doesn´t work, what about your mobile phone? Take a photo, send it to your email adress, put it in a folder and you can show it here.

In my long experience, talking about photos that are not shown, the results are 80% wrong, especially according to german abbreviations

Thanks guys for the thoughts, with regard to getting an image I will now have to locate the item as my post is now just over two years old and I have no idea where I stored the card.

This should be fun.

khaki