Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somaliland - The Final Campaign against the “Mad Mullah”

bushfighter

If any Member is interested in my interpretation of the campaign that ended the longest-running insurgency that the British Empire ever faced, then please take a glance at:

http://www.kaiserscross.com/188001/566401.html

(I agree with the thoughts that although the campaign ensured the future of an independent RAF, the bombing of forts was pretty ineffective.)

Harry

Hello Harry, have had a very quick read of this, and will go back to it when I have more time, thanks again for meticulous research and another interesting and illuminating saga re the British Empire.

Cheers

Shirley

Thank you Harry for another interesting article.

As an aside, I had no idea that Indian Army Regiments were garrisoning the Protectorate of Somaliland.

Cheers

Maureen

Maureen

Thank you.

If on that website you start with 'Somaliland 1884-1898' ( http://www.kaiserscross.com/188001/257522.html) and follow all the Somaliland articles you can see that Indian Army troops were in Somaliland for over 35 years.

They then returned during World War II.

As well as Indian Army garrison troops from the Aden base, loaned-service Indian Army sepoys and sowars manned sub-units in the locally raised Somali forces.

One day, if I live long enough, I want to consolidate the whole story into one narrative, detailing all units involved and decorations awarded.

(But, how many other people would be interested?)

Harry

... (But, how many other people would be interested?)

I think you could be surprised... What might seem a niche area now can easily develop into something bigger in the longer term. Just think of how much in demand today are unit histories from the GW!

Trajan

I think you could be surprised... What might seem a niche area now can easily develop into something bigger in the longer term. Just think of how much in demand today are unit histories from the GW!

Trajan

Fully concur with Mr. Trajan; Harry did the 26th Light Cavalry it make to Somaliland?

Fascinating read, in fact I may have come across your website before, whilst looking into this chap who was killed at Shimber Berris....