Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying regiment

felicity.cleaves

Dorothys Photos 009b

Dorothys Photos 009a

I would like to see if I can find out a little more about the man in this picture. All we know is first name, Chas or Charlie.
He is from Carmarthenshire possibly the St Clear's area.
The young lady who's hand he is touching later married someone called Jim. The date on the card is quite late fro him to have died as a result of the war but not impossible. I have looked for Charles' on one or two local War memorials with no luck
Identifying the uniform would be a step on the way. Horse Artillery??
Thanks

He's an Australian corporal* with at least 3 years active service.

Dave

* well, he's a corporal in the AIF anyway.... whether he actually is Australian or not is an entirely different matter... he's definitely wearing an Australian jacket and badges though!

And his mum sewed the chevrons on the wrong way up.

As mentioned by Dave, his tunic does appear to be an Australian issue one with the obvious cuffs. I cannot, however, make out the shoulder titles or any "rising sun" collar badges.

As mentioned his three "Overseas" service stripes have been stitched on up-side down!

Sepoy

... his tunic does appear to be an Australian issue one with the obvious cuffs. I cannot, however, make out the shoulder titles or any "rising sun" collar badges.

The pockets are a big give-away too. I can just about make out the collar badges on a slightly enlarged version of the photo (I think!), but, likewise, cannot make out any shoulder titles.

Dave