Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Marshall, actor, London Scottish, help please

Jim Hastings

A Happy New Year to the Forum!

Bit of a strange one this, but I have found out today that I am loosely (and I mean loosely, something like second cousin twice removed ... he was my nan's cousin) related to Herbert Marshall, one of the actors who joined the London Scottish during the Great War. A quick search has shown that he was wounded by a sniper and lost a leg, I believe at Arras in 1917, but I have been unable to find more. I know there are some 14th London's interested parties out there and I'd appreciate any help you can give me into Herbert Marshall's war, when he joined, whether he was an O.R. or an officer.

I no longer have Ancestry or FMP as I'm slightly focused on teacher training now (headache)

Oddly enough the London Scottish was one of the units I visited when deciding what TA unit to join after my Regular service with the Gunners. (Martin G will be pleased to know I ended up in the Yeomanry!)

Appreciate any help at all

Many thanks

Jim

Jim

Private Herbert Brough Falcon Marshall. 14th Bn London regiment (London Scottish).

Regimental number - 8246 / 514221

Shot in right knee 9 April 1917, Arras, leading to amputation of leg at the hip.

Enlisted 2.6.1916. Discharged 17.5.18. para 392 XV1 KRs (wounds) age 27. Silver war badge number 393051.

TR

Then you'll also want

TURNER, PENRHYN GODFREY. Rank: Private. Service No: 682931 (5890). Date of Death: 08/10/1916. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: London Regiment "D" Coy. 1st/22nd Bn.
Panel Reference: Pier and Face 9 D 9 C 13 C and 12 C. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Leopold Godfrey Turner and Edith A. Turner, of 16, Stanley Gardens, Belsize Park, London

Thank you Terry, that was quick, brilliant. So with training he probably got to F&F late 1916?

Thanks again

Jim

Possible Disability file in PIN26, the name Marshall H. GSW. Period 1916-1931:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3394545

I found no service or pension file on Ancestry UK and you might get some detail from the PIN26, if it's his.

Registration card for WW2 - USA

5236302560100352.png?k=pukNuiXnSsFdbd7ZB

Wow, thanks Kevin, that's a great find, I always thought there'd be a bit of London Regiment in the family blood somewhere!!

Many thanks

Jim

Sotonmate, Chris and Simon, this is great stuff, thank you very much, this is so very interesting. I'll have to watch one of his films now (I ashamedly admit!!)

Funny old world!!

Cheers

Jim

Just watched a few clips on the internet, he is a spitting image of my late uncles Bill and Roy.

Oh well, back to lesson planning, at least it is on Medicine in WW1 for Year 9, quite pertinent now!!

Thanks to all

Jim

Jim

Your second cousin however many times removed came up in one of the incarnations of WIT? and what was remarkable was the number of British Hollywood personalities who had experience of the trenches. Moreover several of them had been quite badly wounded; Ronald Coleman in the ankle at Messines in 1914, Claude Rains lost most of the sight in one eye and Leslie Howard was discharged in 1916 with shell shock. Basil Rathbone served with the 2/10th Liverpool Scottish, Victor McLagen served all over the place and James Whale, the director of Frankenstein was captured in 1917. I'm sure there are more. It makes you wonder if they shared their experiences.

Pete.

P.S. I'll be wanting an autograph now you are nearly famous.

Hi Pete, great to hear from you and a happy 2016 to you! Didn't know about Leslie Howard. Ironically I'd bought Richard Van Emdens "Famous" a few days before, worth a read if you get a chance.

Hope all well with you mate? Jim

Jim, all the best for 2016 to you too; not like you to be recommending books to me. I have a copy of Richard's Famous but I only seem to read it in or en route to Lille Europe for some reason, what I have read is excellent. I'm ok, hope you are too. I'll drop you a line.

Pete.