Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Matthew Naylor - Leicestershire regt or ASC?

SgtPrice

Dear Forum Pals,

I am trying to research my grandfather, Matthew Naylor, WW1 service, and according to MIC records there were only 2 Mathew Naylors who joined up, one served in the Leicestershire regiment and one in the Army Service Corps. Their regimental numbers were 12710 and T260726 respectively. I know that the Matthew Naylor who served in the Leicestershire regiment was either a professional soldier or volunteer as he was awarded the 1914-1915 Star. What I am trying to determine was when either Matthew Naylor joined up so if any pals could enlighten me by using their regimental numbers it would be really appreciated as it might help me identify the right Matthew Naylor.

regards,

Stuart Price.

12710 was 26 years old when he enlisted in Sept 1914 and was posted as a POW in 1917 born Brinsley Nottingham. This him ? or does it eliminate him for you. Ralph.

Ralph,

Many, many thanks for your swift reply and it is of great help as my grandfather was not born in Brinsley, Nottingham for sure. Which means by default he served in the ASC so I can now try to discover where and when he served. Could you let me know where you got the info from as it might help when I am trying to research other members of my family who served during the war.

regards,

Stuart.

Ralph,

One final quick question, is there any way I can find out which ASC company my grand father served with? I know he was in a Horse Transport one due to his regimental number having a "T" in front of it, but having looked at both his MIC and medal roll index entry there is no additional information. Maybe his regimental number would indicate when he joined and therefore which company he served with? Any ideas would be appreciated.

regards,

Stuart.

T260715 , George Gentry of Barking, attested 16/12/1916, records available on Ancestry.

Seems to have been in 667 Co ASC (Reserve HT Company- Home Front), but transferred to Northants Regiment/ Labour Company due to a suboptimal attendance record.

T260787, Charles Ford of Devon attested 2/1/1917, Exeter. Seems to have been demobbed from 654 Agricultural Company.

Can't find any closer numbers at the moment.

Hi Stuart,

There are some PoW records for the 12710 Naylor, that isn't yours, on the ICRC website. One thing that crossed my mind is that just because he isn't your grandfather, it doesn't automatically mean that the ASC man was. There would be plenty of men that had home service only, and didn't serve abroad, and consequently wouldn't have a MIC/Medal Roll entry. Does family oral history say that he served abroad? Depending on where he lived, if you or other family members don't have any medals, it might be possible to confirm the unit he served with from the few surviving Absent Voter Lists.

Regards

Chris

• Admin

Matthew Naylor T/260726 Driver ASC lived at 24 Nicholls Street Leicester (Leicester AVL no unit shown)

In 1911 he was age 16 b.1895, apprentice to lithographic printer

brother Tom Naylor, two years younger serving as 23117 Labour Corps

One other sibling John Charles, father Matthew mother Martha

That him?

Ken

Guys,

Thanks for all of your help and I can now say for certain that the Matthew Naylor from Leicester was indeed my grandfather ! and this is the first time it has been confirmed, which is a major breakthrough in finding out what he did during the war. I have e-mailed the RLC museum to see if they can determine what company he served with so I can track down the unit diary. One event that I do know about is that Matthew and his brother Tom bumped into each other whilst serving in France totally unplanned.

Finally, please forgive my ignorance but what does AVL Leicester stand for?

Once again please accept my thanks for all that everybody has done, it is much appreciated.

regards,

Stuart.

• Admin

Sorry, AVL = Absent Voter List

Brief explanation on LLT (Long Long Trail parent site to this forum) http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

Glad it's confirmed, unfortunately without a service record it can be difficult to place men of the ASC as they served in every theatre in so many roles. As I said the AVL simply lists the 'ASC'.

I think you need to look closer to home for his Company, I wonder if the birth certificate of his children list his unit?

Now it's confirmed to dig a little deeper there is a service record for T/260725 Warner,address on discharge 25 Harewood Street Leicester. He attested on 10th December 1915 (under the Derby or Group Scheme). Aged 25 years and 240 days on enlistment he was posted to the Army Reserve, he should have been called up earlier according to his Group but probably obtained deferment from the local tribunal. He was not mobilized until 1 January 1917, posted the following day he joined the ASC Horse Transport at Bradford on the 3rd when he would, in all probability have been allocated his ASC number.

Warner was in 668 Company but it seems he didn't make the grade in the ASC as he was compulsorily transferred out to the infantry on the 8th May and this is where he parts company with your gfather. 668 was a reserve company based at Blackheath http://www.1914-1918.net/ASC_HT.htm

It's impossible to say whether your gfather went to 668 Company, or where he went from there, equally we can't confirm he enlisted under the Derby Scheme all we can say is he arrived at the ASC Depot on or around the 3 September 1917.

Ken

Ken,

A very special vote of thanks to you and what you have found out and passed on. I have been speaking to my 80 year old mother, Matthew's daughter, about this tonight and she is very excited as my grandfather, like so many others, never spoke of his war service and this is really the first she has heard of it. Matthew got married after the war so it is not mentioned on his daughters birth certificates.

From what you say it appears that Matthew and Warner might have joined up together as their numbers are consecutive and they both came from Leicester.

I will wait to see how much help I can get from the RLC museum in the next few days and let you know how I get on.

Again many thanks for you help.

regards,

Stuart.