Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing The Service of a Wounded Northumberland Gunner

BVFOX

Dear Forum,

I'm trying to find out some detail regarding the WW1 service of my wife’s grandfather. His name was Richard Jewers and he served in the Royal Field Artillery. He hailed from the Gosforth area as far as we can tell. His Medal Index Card records him as: 2102 and also as: 750872.

His card shows he was eligible for the Victory Medal and British War Medal (reference RFA/128B (TF) 5587). Although there is no detail on the MIC for the ‘Theatre first served in’ we believe he served in France; my wife remembers family information that he lost a leg during service in France. An aunt recalls being given permission to visit him in hospital there with the warning that if he died while she was en route she would have to turn back. We have no other family members who can add to his history.

I cannot find a record stating in which unit of the Royal Field Artillery Gunner Richard Jewers served. An expert in these matters has suggested that as he did not qualify for the 1914-15 Star for service overseas before 31 Dec 1915, he did not go abroad until some date after 1 Jan 1916.

I am also told that his first regimental number (4 digits) indicates he was in a Territorial RFA brigade and the second number was part of a batch allotted early 1917 used by the 1st/1st Northumbrian Brigade RFA (also known as 250 Bde/CCL Bde in Roman numerals) and the 2nd/1st Northumbrian Bde RFA. (315 Bde or CCCXV Bde). So it would seem that he was in 250 Bde or 315 Bde RFA.

However, as most RFA brigades were re-organised at various times throughout the war, tracking an individual's service requires his individual service record, which in his case has not survived.

Might anyone have any record of Gunner Richard Jewers? As he was wounded would he have a Medical and or Pension File on discharge?

Thanks for any help

Nick

Nick

If Gunner Jewers had joined and remained with the Northumbrians,it is a good indication that he served with 315 Brigade RFA as he does not have the 1914/15 Star.

1st/1st Northumbrian Brigade deployed to the Western Front in April 1915 as part of the Northumbrian Division (numbered 50th in May 1915). Soldiers therefore qualified for the 1914 / 15 Star. The RFA Brigades were numbered in May 1916.

The 315th Brigade deployed to France in July 1916 and became part of the 63rd (Royal Naval Division) Divisional Artillery, consequently its soldiers did not qualify for the 1914/15 Star,

Ian

• Admin

2100/750870 Paxton enlisted 25th May 1915 overseas with 315th Brigade embarked Southampton 2 July 1916; landed Le Havre

2103/750873 Hannant enlisted 26 May 1915 overseas with 315th Brigade embarked Southampton 2 July 1916; landed Le Havre

(Wounded 15/11/1916 to 306th Bde on recovery)

The war diary is available at TNA he may get a mention though RFA diaries tend to be technical

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355437

The Times and The Genealogist have some casualty records, can't see him in the Times there,is a R Jewers wounded 1917 on the Genealogist (subscription) may or may not be him

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/search/master/?type=person&source=&search_type=person&master_event=Military&person_event=&fn=&phonetic_mode_fn=1&phonetic_mode_fn=1&nickname_mode=&sn=Jewers&phonetic_mode_sn=1&phonetic_mode_sn=1&kw=&yr=&range=10&person_event=Casualty+List%3A+Wounded

Ken

Ken and Ian,

Many thanks for these pieces of information. Given Richard Jewers' Army numbers (2102 and 750872) and the information showing two Gunners with numbers either side of his (2100/750870 Gnr Paxton and 2103/750873 Gnr Hannant) enlisting in and deploying with 315th Brigade RFA I am surmising he served with this Bde too. I will now do more digging about the report of his wounding and also at the TNA regarding a Medical File/Pension.

Thanks again

Nick

• Admin

Nick

If he had a service file/pension record it would be in the online records, there are five surviving records in the 75087* series, I just posted the two that closely bracketed his number. Where the records show a unit overseas all served with the 315th Brigade. It is therefore highly unlikely that a service or pension record survives for 750872 and you're unlikely to find any additional personal records at the TNA.

His wounding, if the reference given above is not him (I believe these lists are also on Forces War records but you need to confirm that ) then local newspapers often carry a report.

Ken

Hi Nick,

You could try the WFA pension cards. £25 for the initial search though - and from the cards they've posted on their website, it looks like if they do have anything, it would probably only confirm RFA. It might have detail of his wounds though.

Regards

Chris

The only Richard Jewers i can find in the NE lived at High Heaton Cottages in 1911, aged 30.

The Spring 1919 Absent Voters Register has absent Jewers family members registered to vote at Heaton High Farm.

Alexander Jewers 148210 R.A.F., No. 2 H.A.A.P. (which might suggest, Heavy Anti Aircraft Practice Camp)

Robert Jewers 525896 Reg. Police, Catterick Bridge.

No sign of Richard Jewers at Heaton High Farm in the AVR, possibly on account of him being discharged at this date and living at home?

Any idea where in Gosforth Richard may have lived in 1919.

Alexanders Service file is available at the NA or FMP AIR 79/1342/148210