Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

foldup saw .

scall38

Hi all. I have this fold up saw which is dated 1915 at least the pouch is. I would like to know if they were every used in the war. It doesn't seem to be very usable to me.

post-57771-0-33267600-1451841162_thumb.j

post-57771-0-86145900-1451841174_thumb.j

We have one of these saws on display in the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum circa 1914 complete with carrying case. Its periodically cleaned and preserved with renaissance wax and remains as sharp as the day it was last used.

I have used one of those to de-limb an old diseased elm. I can assure you it works very well indeed. You can sling a rope over a branch, pull up the saw, stand well clear and saw away. Extremely efficient.

Thanks guys. I now understand it would be better called a hand chain saw. Is it safe to say this might have been a piece of kit a platoon or section. Might have issued to them.

I too have used mine very effectively while clearing a shed

Mine is dated 1937 on the brass rings where the handles go in

Regards

Ken

Known to me as a Pioneer Trench Saw, very nice item I saw one in the summer a chap was displaying some old tools at a village vintage day he was unaware exactly what it was he had .

Remarkably complete - I'm thinking the wee implement at the top is for 'setting' the teeth. Presumably, there was a sharpening file.

Agreed! Unfortunately, I borrowed the one I used so had to give it back. :(

Hi all . Thanks for the replies It is dated 1915 and needs a good clean although I am reluctant to clean it too much. There is a file with this set I forgot to photograph it. I actually have two less complete sets not sure If they are dated. But theylook the very same as the one pictured. I would be delighted to give one to someone new on the collecting scene. Just contact me. Thanks. For your help.

Edited by scall38

I think your offer is very kind and I would take it up myself but I don't really 'collect' anything these days. I live in an old wheelwright's house and used to collect woodworking tools and things associated with wheelwrighting. The workshop is now pretty full and I keep toying with the idea of getting rid of the dozens of moulding planes lying unused together with felloe and cart patterns, braces, etc, etc...

I would be interested to see an image of the file issued with these. I have a saw with teeth setting tool but missing the file. Is there anything different about the issued file to look out for if trying to obtain a suitable one? Regards, Paul.

By the way I don't want payment. I just want someone interested to have them. Thanks again.

Good man John, a very generous gesture.

Hello all.

The saw is a "Farrer's Patent Folding Saw" and has been used for many years by the British army but was also available worldwide. I have seen examples

in Canada and Australia.

Regards.

Nick.