Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serjeant 'Army service corps'

Guest pennyindorset

Guest pennyindorset

W e ve just got 'Grandads' medal card info off the National Archive site and it appears he was a serjeant in the corps, can we find any info about where he went with his duties as there is no info on this on his card? Where do I start looking? Any advice or tips gratefully appreciated, Penny

Penny

Welcome to the forum, and good hunting.

Click on "The Long Trail" at the top left of the screen and follow the link to "Grandad's War".

This will tell you a lot about how to go about researching him. If you have any specific queries about his MIC or similar, then post a query in this forum with as much information as possible, and one of the Pals might be able to help.

Regards

Steve

Guest pennyindorset

Hi, have looked around and come up with nothing so far, i have gone over 'Grandads' medal card trying to come up with something but there isn t alot on it, only as a Sjt in the army corps that he got a 'victory' and 'british 'medal, doesn t state a theatre or date of entry, on his other card where he was in the North staff reg he gets a victory and british and something like C & voss? (not good writing) then date of entry as 10-9-14, in remarks there is this wrote AS/F/1283 (not sure what that means) where do I go from here?????? HELP

You have some of what you seek

date of entry into France 14/9/14

"C & Voss" is not correct. I would hazard that this is a reference to him being awarded 14 Star, and cluster, ( Hard to tell without seeing the MIC). The medal rolls (which can be found from references on your MIC) may tell you more. These are physical documents and are not on line. Visit the National archive site and you will find links to researchers , who can copy these for you, for a fee.

If I was you I'd post the details of you man, you never know someone may be able to give you something more on him.

It's not always easy, his records may or may not still exist at the NA - for guidance where to go from here go back to Nulty's advice, it really is the most effective way of getting more.