Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Funky Villers and northern area of the Somme.

Sunbird

Happy New Year!

I'm creating a blog of my great grandfather's war diary. He was a medical officer and often mentions things like 'going out in the collecting car' visiting dressing stations where injured men have been brought in by stretcher from regimental aid posts closer to the front line.

Does anybody know of a resource of information about day to day events, skirmishes, raids, (i.e. events outside main battles) for the 37th Division, November 1915 - December 1916 at the northern part of the Somme line.

Many thanks,

Chris

www.afelliott.com

The various war diaries will cover them.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for that S. I'll have a good look through that.

Since my initial post I have got all the Ancestry archived 37th Div. war diaries for various Field Ambulances, all the relevant Battalions and ADMS. So yes I now have a better picture of day to day life on the northern part of the Somme area during build up to 1st July.

Just researching my great grandfather's diary entry for today 100 years ago:

Feb.3. Divisional Band playing at B? in afternoon, got a

shell 18 killed and 10 wounded in audience.

I will be including the transcript from 48FA diary which reports this event in the diary blog later today.

www.afelliott.com

Ah excellent. Definitely have a browse threw the second link though as the handwriting is very clear and there are some excellent photographs in there.