Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The York and Lancaster Regimental Museum - Rotherham.

Kitchener's Bugle

24). From the Archive.

Description: Men of the York and Lancaster Regiment in trenches on the 62nd Division Front. The machine gun has been mounted for anti-aircraft use.

post-91995-0-78554400-1451621087_thumb.j

25).

Men of 6th Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment at a front line Lewis gun post, Cambrin, February 1918.

post-91995-0-78080200-1451621150_thumb.j

26). This is the splendid War Memorial in the adjacent park.

:poppy:

post-91995-0-67051700-1451621550_thumb.j

post-91995-0-46349000-1451621580_thumb.j

27).

:poppy:

post-91995-0-72553700-1451621619_thumb.j

post-91995-0-82008400-1451621907_thumb.j

post-91995-0-68777700-1451621939_thumb.j

Well done Kitchener's Bugle . Sadly the museum has very few visitors. The archives staff are very helpful and will gladly assist with any query. On a visit last year (2015) they showed me the box of letters from families in response to a request for names to be included on the Great War memorial.

The photos posted above of the war memorial are a little out of date. There is now a WW2 memorial at the rear of the existing memorial. It was erected in summer 2015 and consists of tablets naming the fallen of that conflict. It shows surname and initial only so not as detailed as the Great War memorial. The fountain has the names of Rotherham men who were awarded the VC engraved into the rim.

Many thanks Ellis, I missed that - those images were took earlier in a lovely late spring day - rare I know!.

I will just have to go back and take a look!.

Cheers

KB

The museum is very much worth a visit and the regimental archive is an incredible resource and is worth a visit just to view the huge range of WW1 diaries, documents, personal papers and photographs. As mentioned, the archives staff are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

I have to admit to be somewhat biased in my opinions as the York and Lancaster Regiment is my local regiment and one I have studied since being a kid. I have also been fortunate enough to have been able to help out behind the scenes at the museum and so have seen the huge range of photographs and items they have. Sadly, like most museums only a tiny percentage of the museum's holdings can be on display at any one time.

A word of caution and a plea. Like all Local Authorities, Rotherham Council who run the museum, need to make huge financial cuts and services such as the museum and archives have already suffered a reduction in the opening hours and are potential targets for future cuts. The more people who visit the museum and use the regimental archives, the more chance it will have of a secure future. So if you are in the South Yorkshire area, please, please visit the museum!

Oh and I can recommend the badge book shown in post #25!

I visit last year, a nice little museum well worth a visit, I recommend a visit

I quite agree; I went last year as well, and it is very good.

I think that it's a good example of what can be done when different museums are put together in an historic setting (i.e. an old house). The rest of the museum is very good as well, and the park surrounding the building is excellent.

I also recommend a visit.