Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

32894 Pte W Bridge -Yorkshire Regt

johntanner

Working my way through the Register of Soldiers' Effects in search of the missing names from the Enfield St Andrew's roll, including William Bridge, and came across this man. He doesn't appear to have any overseas service and the register notes "insane", but I can't find a commemoration for him. Any ideas?

Name: William Bridge Gender: Male Death Date: 2 Feb 1917 Rank: Private Regiment: Yorkshire Regiment Regimental Number:

John

The effects register listed 'insane' men as they were dealt with by the effects department,even where they hadn't died.

He received the minimum war gratuity of £3 net (£5 gross) for 12 months or less service. If he never served overseas he needed a minimum of 6 month service to qualify for a gratuity (this 6 month minimum period was done away with if a man had served overseas).

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thanks. At least that removed him from my list of possibles as well.

John

He would have been dead by the time the war gratuity was paid out in any case - so he would have been under the auspices of the effects branch in any case.

If the death could be attributed to military service then he could still be eligible for a CWGC entry but I'm not sure how you would prove it with regards to insanity.

Craig

Found his pension record. Cause of discharge idiocy not caused or aggravated by military service. Not one for CWGC I am afraid.

Chris

Chris, Craig

Thanks. As I said wasn't really looking for a non-commemoration but one of my untraced men, but worth a check anyhow. Thanks again for your help.

John