Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Cpl Tom Tadd - SLI & Champion Boxer

greenman126

I've been completing research into various family members and their service with the Somerset Light Infantry during WW1 and came across this distant relative, and thought I would share his story.

L/Cpl Thomas (Tom) Tadd

Reg No. 7022

A Coy, 1st Btn, SLI

KIA - 26 August 1914

Tom joined the SLI on 29 March 1906 and in the 1911 Census was listed as being present at St. Andrews Barracks in Malta (with 2nd Btn. SLI). Tom was a keen boxer and fought seven professional fights during 1913/14 becoming a Light-Weight Champion in the SLI and across the West of England. An image of Tom, with a trophy in hand is attached (taken from the Bath Chronicle - 3 May 1913)

Tom went abroad with the BEF (entry on MIC - 21 August 1914) was also one of the first men from Bath to be killed in action during the war, on 26 August 1914. He left his widow Harriet and one child (his second child not being born until early 1915).

His loss was clearly felt by the people of Bath as the local paper (Bath Evening Chronicle) carried the following on 26 September 1914.

RIP

Lance Corporal Thomas Tadd,

Late Boxing Champion of the Somerset Light Infantry

Good-bye, Good-bye, you gallant lad;

Often we watched you fighting, clad

Most as God made you, lithe and gay,

Smiling and fighting in your way

The gentlemanly way you had

A gentleman you were, Tom Tadd

By, birthright, no; By nature, Gad:

The noblest. Hard it is to say

Good-bye, Good-bye

Ever though luck was good or bad

You played the game, and we are glad,

Are proud to know you gave your clay

For England's fame. 'Tis ours to pay

You tardy tribute, and a sad

Good-bye, Good-bye

As well as appearing on the main war memorial in Bath, Tom also appears on the Bath Gas Company memorial and in the Somerset County Roll of Honour.

post-123735-0-54398100-1451407087_thumb.

Hello

My Great Great Uncle Samuel Mckeowen fought your relative on feb 17th 1914 in the County rink, Bath.

He won in round 7. He to was a well known West country boxer.

I got this from the boxing history website.

That fantastic' i love things like this.

shame He did not get through it, My uncle survived and ran boxing booths around the SW

Brilliant

Chris

Hi Chris - I may well be able to dig out a local newspaper report of this fight if you are interested. I'm sure I recognise the name from an article I read recently.

PM me your email address and I'll sort through some documents I have and send a copy over.

Like you I really enjoy the stories behind the men. So many of them are forgotten now - I know my family find them fascinating when I uncover something like this.

Regards

Mark

What a star you are i'll pm you tomorrow, thanks for that. And yes, its great knowing the stories behind these brave men. Chris

• 2 years later...

Hi Lianne,

Welcome to the forum.

Thomas originally joined the Militia on 3rd February 1906, before joining the Regulars on 29th March 1906. His original attestation is on Findmypast - link. He left a will - £10 from here. It would come as a low resolution B&W scan.  

The Battalion, Brigade, and Division war diaries are on Ancestry - herehere, and here. They are also available from the National Archives (search page), but are unlikely to mention Thomas by name.

Regards

Chris