Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The £1900+ memorial plaque....

alastaircox

I will not name nor place a link to the item on a well-known auction site but can anyone explain the interest in this collection. Good plaque with scroll, very nice frame, lots of ephemera and interesting back story but I'm struggling to see the value here. What am I missing?

Its up to 51 Bids!!!

A couple of people must really want it.

Clearly the mount is unique but I don't see that value myself.

Is there something in the nature of the Home Front death? It is well documented but this looks to be Flying Corps money...

An interesting item but the price is a little staggering. Possibly the Gas Helmet has a high value? It is undoutedly an uncommon item--possibly Pte Duncan died as the result of gas poisoning? which would make it a very poignant item particularly with his Memorial Plaque and Memorial Scroll included.

Recipient of SWB for actions in France, he died in a railway accident, crushed between railway wagon and buffers, coroner's verdict "accidental death"

The PH helmet is a rare and highly collectable piece worth about £2K. It also has the carrying bag, the very rare inner waterproof bag, the instruction leaflet and the rarer sponge-backed version of the tear gas goggles. £2.5K would not be out of the way for this lot, let alone the plaque.

He was working on munitions work when he was killed according to the soldiers effects records.

He received a £14 net war gratuity, £17 gross, for 30 months qualifying service (Aug 14 to Jan 17) - he must have only just started munitions work when he died.

Craig

The PH helmet is a rare and highly collectable piece worth about £2K. It also has the carrying bag, the very rare inner waterproof bag, the instruction leaflet and the rarer sponge-backed version of the tear gas goggles. £2.5K would not be out of the way for this lot, let alone the plaque.

Yikes!!! Now that is serious money either folding or other types!!! I bet the seller cannot believe his luck!

The rarer sponge-backed version of the tear gas goggles.

Are they? Spicer all day long, surely (despite the strange presence of spongey type material behind the aperture)?

Unless both types of face mask were used for Sponge Goggles?

Cheers,

GT.

Are they? Spicer all day long, surely (despite the strange presence of spongey type material behind the aperture)?

Unless both types of face mask were used for Sponge Goggles?

Cheers,

GT.

No you're right, my mistake, saw the "sponge" backing and mentally switched off. Not sure what's going on here as they don't usually have this backing.

It appears to have dropped to 1700 ish? Just over an hour to go.

TT

It appears to have dropped to 1700 ish? Just over an hour to go.

TT

It has also only 26 bids against it when yesterday there were 51--very strange! How can this happen? Only 2 hrs 5 mins to go now!!

It has also only 26 bids against it when yesterday there were 51--very strange! How can this happen? Only 2 hrs 5 mins to go now!!

Somebody's withdrawn their bids for some reason.

Craig

Buyers can retract their bids for any reason "entered incorrect amount" being the standard. Some do it deliberately, say to see how far another bidder is willing to go or to put other buyers off, unscrupulous sellers try to use alternative accounts to run up the price. More likely, the seller has added additional condition reports that have made the buyer retract their bid.

I am not suggesting anything directly relating to this case, just my experiences.

Thank you for your explanations regarding the withdrawing of bids--makes sense I suppose, although one does wonder if there is indeed more to this on occasion than that which meets the eye!

A good price

Can anyone explain what the problem is with naming EBAY or other auction sites, or including links to auctions so others know what is being discussed. Not having the background information really makes these discussions useless for anyone else to learn from them, now or from later searches when they turn up in results..

I see no problem with naming any commercial site. It is patently silly to do otherwise. Not least,as most people contributing to this thread not only know the site but the actual item as well. It's the same silliness whereby folk will write An***try.

As for discussion about particular sales, I note Grovetown's link to a change in the rules. I presume that these have not yet come into effect, otherwise, i would have expected the mods to have binned this whole thread.

John, you will note that I never questioned the authenticity of the items nor in anyway defamed the seller nor the buyer. As with most threads, I simply needed help expanding my knowledge base.

John, you will note that I never questioned the authenticity of the items nor in anyway defamed the seller nor the buyer. As with most threads, I simply needed help expanding my knowledge base.

Indeed. But the proposed change in rules will "prohibit comment on items offered for sale".

Indeed. But the proposed change in rules will "prohibit comment on items offered for sale".

I can quite understand the reasons for that - i.e., no comment, whether adverse or otherwise. But what about drawing the attention of people to items on sale for research and record purposes? E.G., interesting bayonet markings? Surely, if no further comment is made, just a simple statement of fact - "nice looking marking at: HERE" - then that would be acceptable?