Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11 Bn Kings Liverpool Regt (Pioneers)

grayman

I am researching 11609 Pte William Carter, he enlisted in 11 Bn Kings in Aug 1914 at Seaforth. He was killed in action on 4 Oct 1918 whist serving with the 13 Bn and is buried at Ribecourt Railway cemetery.

I have read another thread on 11 Bn with interest and downloaded the war diaries transcribed by Stephen Nulty which are fascinating. William's service records survived and are part of the burned collection, I have copies of his MIC and medal rolls also.

Can anyone provide any further info on William, eg the Coy he was in or when he might have transferred to 13 Bn.

Regards

Graham

Graham

Do I see some shadowy figures on the service record prior to the KIA details ? I think it may say something like 11 May 1918, and think it may be for a possible transfer to 13 Bn KLR, though there is no such entry posted, or viewable.

Looking at other facts: 11 Battalion (Pioneers to 14 Division from Jan 1915 to Jun 1918) were reduced to cadre in early 1918 and eventually shipped home in June 1918 to be subsumed by 15 Bn Loyal North Lancs.

It would be worth a look at both 11 Bn and 13 Bn War Diaries to see if there was a transfer of soldiers around this time in 1918.It would make sense if the 13th were needful of replacements at this time.

William's service record has a continuous service in France from 19 May 1915 to the date of his death on 4 Oct 1918, so he didn't come home with the cadre.

Thanks for that....It would be logical to presume that he was transferred at the time of 11Bn being reduced to cadre strength in early 1918. The 11 Bn diary doesn't mention any individual drafts in or out in May because the war diary had closed. I've not got access to 13 Bn diaries.

His service records say he was in 2 Bn Staffs previous to him enlisting in the special reserve, are any records available previous to WW1 ?

Thanks for your help

What a tragedy, volunteered at the very beginning and killed so close to the very end following four long years of service.

:poppy:

• Admin

Graham

Sorry for being late to the party ! I have a nominal roll for 11 KLR and will check it to see if his Co is mentioned

He was in "A" Company, 11th KLR in December 1915 when all units of the 14th Division had a nominal roll of those serving completed, although showing a 3/11609 prefix number.

Andy

Extract of my transcription of the Nominal Roll

post-1356-0-14477400-1451906456_thumb.pn