Remembered Today:

60th division in Palestine campaign

20th Division

Anyone know of any battlefields tours of these areas? I appreciate it is a dangerous part of the world at present, but are there any tours? A great uncle was wounded at Tel El Sharia on Nov 7th ( with 2/23rd Londons) then transported to hospital in Cairo where he died of wounds a fortnight later ( bayonet wound to stomach).

I visited his grave in Cairo some years ago.

As I said, probably a dangerous place to visit now on a battle field tour ---but---well--any good and sensible,

advice? Thanks. Dave.

Dave

I am going to recce a tour of the 60th's actions in early 2016 with the aim of running tours from the summer.

Hi Dave,

I am conducting quite a lot of touring to various Great War battlefields throughout the country, some privately and some with The Society for the Heritage of World War I IN Israel.

We had a great tour only yesterday, to the battlefield of Falkenhayn's counterattack on the EEF's right flank on November 12th 1917 (See the thread about The action at Balin). It's not that far from Tel El Sharia.

As to safety – naturally, I'm not objective, but I feel very safe. Media has its ways of showing things, and not always the same thing you feel while touring here. Anyway, most battlefields are in open areas and completely safe to visit.

Eran

Anyone know of any battlefields tours of these areas? I appreciate it is a dangerous part of the world at present, but are there any tours? A great uncle was wounded at Tel El Sharia on Nov 7th ( with 2/23rd Londons) then transported to hospital in Cairo where he died of wounds a fortnight later ( bayonet wound to stomach).

I visited his grave in Cairo some years ago.

As I said, probably a dangerous place to visit now on a battle field tour ---but---well--any good and sensible,

advice? Thanks. Dave.

Hi Dave,

I am conducting quite a lot of touring to various Great War battlefields throughout the country, some privately and some with The Society for the Heritage of World War I IN Israel.

We had a great tour only yesterday, to the battlefield of Falkenhayn's counterattack on the EEF's right flank on November 12th 1917 (See the thread about The action at Balin). It's not that far from Tel El Sharia.

As to safety – naturally, I'm not objective, but I feel very safe. Media has its ways of showing things, and not always the same thing you feel while touring here. Anyway, most battlefields are in open areas and completely safe to visit.

Eran

Dave

Eran will (hopefully) feature in my tours.

Hi to both Eran and Gareth.

Happy new year to you both and thanks for getting back on this one.

I have taken on board what you say and understand. Please send me details when you know more. The next challenge is for me to convince my wife and family about this, so I am only putting out feelers for this potential trip you understand. The venture sounds promising and hope it happens. It has always been an "ambition" of mine to visit Tel El Sharia and the associated battle sites.

Regards. Dave.

I will be in touch Dave.

Thanks both-----appreciated. Hope it works out. Happy, peaceful new year to you both. Dave

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I am planning a self-guided trip to follow 2/16th London Regt movements through Palestine.

I have war diaries and maps of the the areas/battles that I am interested in but any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim