Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The War Book of Turriff & 12 Miles Round

I have a copy of the War Book of Turriff & 12 Miles Round and I will be quite happy to do look-ups from it. It covers the following villages/parishes/areas round the town of Turriff on the Aberdeenshire/Banffshire border.

Turriff

King-Edward

Alvah

Gamrie

New Byth

Crudie & Upperbrae

Monquhitter

Millbrex

Fyvie

Rothienorman

Auchterless

Ythan Wells

Inverkeithny

Forgue

Marnoch

Forglen

It's worth noting that the book was very inclusive in the sense that it covered those resident in the area when it was compiled (1924) as well as those from the places concerned. It also has a great many emigrants from the area who served in Canadian or ANZAC forces. Pre-war employment is usually mentioned as are immediate relationships (father/son or brothers) but not cousins.

Obviously a lot of those included are Gordon Highlanders but there seems to be a sprinkling of pretty much every regiment in the army, quite a bit of navy and every rank up to C-in-C India. There is also a short section on the local VAD.

James,

could you please look up the following officer for me:-

Lieutenant James Morrison

4th Battalion Gordon Highlanders

Son of Alexander and Ellen Sarah Baker Morrison of Turriff, Aberdeenshire.

Many thanks for your time.

Steve

• 1 month later...

My apologies to Stephenb for taking so long to get back to him. I'm afraid that James Morrison's entry is one of the shorter ones.

"JAMES MORRISON

Civil Engineer. 4th Gordons. Lieutenant. Served - France and Flanders. Reported missing after Battle at Hooge, 25th September 1915."

James

• 4 weeks later...

James,

thanks for returning with the information, much appreciated. I have uncovered a lot on Lieut. J. Morrison to-date, but this is a very useful addition to my research notes.

He was killed in a diversionary attack that was launched to support the Loos offensive.

Cheers,

Steve

• 13 years later...

I know a lot of time has passed since your original post about the war book of turriff. I am looking for information about George Stewart Duncan, Lieutenant Gordon Highlanders who died 23 Sept. 1917.  I am not sure which area he would have come under perhaps Gamrie, King Edward, New Byth .  If you have any information I would be most grateful

• Admin

I'm afraid that the original poster is no longer a member here, hence the "guest".  The GWF won't hold any contact details for them.

Michelle